REG Study Group April/May 2013 - Page 10

Viewing 15 replies - 136 through 150 (of 1,005 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

@Seattle, wait till you have to watch the nearly 3 hour long first R3 lecture.

I have a question: Do the business law chapters (R4-R8) go by easier than the tax chapters? I suppose, with the risk of being naive and delusional, I'm expecting them to be easier and faster than R1-R4 as that's how it was in school with a heavier emphasis on tax.

Anonymous
    Inactive

This is my first time posting, but I've been following the forum since I took my first section. I just finished AUD in Feb and am going to take REG April 5th. I am just wondering if anyone has any idea how much time to spend on the Business Law concepts. I've read some posts that say don't discount the information but I am using Becker and they literally spend nearly 15 hours of lecture on the concept but its only worth 16-21%. I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips on what would be a better use of time- focusing primarily on tax or equally working the Tax and B-Law concepts?

smp73

Ran a quick 3K race this morning in 19 degree temperatures. I would take that over studying anyday. Need to hit the books tonight though but it was nice to do something that did not involve studying with a friend!

NYS CPA License # 113563
    CIA: Done as of 2/15/14

Training for a half marathon post studying!

LSNYC

Happy Saturday! Trying to get in about 3 hours today, moving to C Corps i think…I am not looking forward to it but going to try to plow through it.

Trying to remember to focus and study this could be my last test! Happy Studying

A - 61, 91!!
    B - 78!
    F - 76!!!
    R - 71, 73, 74, 69, 77!!!!

Finally done!

This is my 2nd attempt at the exam, I had two parts passed (failed many) and I stupidly quit, big mistake. Now I'm back and with a vengeance!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well, I'm behind but working on it. Tax is not my thing and I'm having a terrible time with exchange transactions. With a 60% average, my confidence level is poor. Are there any tricks to understanding them?

Hopefully my health improves this next week. I slacked off in an attempt to get over some exhaustion. I'm still worn out, but napped some today. Hopefully I can pull it together and make some headway soon!

@ChefBlake, it gets even better in R-3?!!! I thought he had already been “blazing”!

Looking forward to it, itching to make a progress but everyday something else comes up and i'm always short on two things: exercise and exam studying. Wonder why is that!

@Smp73, applaud your efforts, that's awesome!

Becker Class of Jan - Aug 2013: FARB DONE!!!!
    CPA license pending 🙂

smp73

Rewrote all the NINJA tax related notes this morning (aka not business law). On to re-reading my own notes and practice problems all day!. Hope everyone has a productive day studying.

NYS CPA License # 113563

LSNYC

Short day for me today only will get about an hour in. Have some family obligations. I am not enjoying Corp tax at all. Partnership and individual I am ok at, but Corp tax just isn't clicking yet.

I will get in a little NINJA reading tonight maybe i will re write the NINJA notes in the next few days too

Happy Sunday and studying

A - 61, 91!!
    B - 78!
    F - 76!!!
    R - 71, 73, 74, 69, 77!!!!

Finally done!

This is my 2nd attempt at the exam, I had two parts passed (failed many) and I stupidly quit, big mistake. Now I'm back and with a vengeance!

Anonymous
    Inactive

@BCJasper, I posted a very similar question right before yours. I'm very curious how much time it will take to finish the R4-R8 material as it looks commensurate in size in the book, while it's tested lightly compared to tax.

Also, “Blazing!”

Anonymous
    Inactive

I'm still floundering through these and have a question. Is this true?

Basis = original basis + boot paid – boot received + gain recognized

I don't see to be able to get when the liabilities add to the basis or subtract from it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Is/did anyone spend a lot of time on these topics; Civil Remedies 1933/1934, Regulation D, rule 10b-5, etc? The Gliem book says to be able to cite all of them (e.g., prohibition, plantiffs, defendants, liability). I could spend a week on these topics alone and not be able to keep the crap straight. I understand the overall topics at a high level, however I would basically have to memorize 20 pages information. What do other CPA study materials recommend?

smp73

@dem80 I've studied it and knew it both times I have taken REG. I broke it down it a chart/table and it was easier to remember that way instead of just a bunch of words on a page.

NYS CPA License # 113563

Anonymous
    Inactive

@smp73, what materials are you using? With my work schedule and I did pretty well with the M/C over the topics but I have to move to new topics if I want to hit everything twice by May 28th. Jeff's Ninja Notes and Wiley seem to hit Red D hard so that is my focus.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@CHEFBlake I cannot take Peter Olinto seriously… His jokes keep the studying entertaining, however. I have seen several posts saying the bulk of information is from Tax so that is where I am directing the majority of my efforts.

Lisa

@AnnaNutherCPA:

If you provide the problems about basis that you're looking at I will detail how to make the calculations. I have Wiley 2012, Gleim 2013 and Becker 2012 books. So you can provide the page # and question #'s….

The general formula's are:

Shareholder Basis = AB transferred + Gain Recognized – Boot Received ( SH = AB + GR – BR)

Corporate Basis = AB transferred + Gain Recognized (Corp =AB + GR)

AUD 8/04/11: 78
    BEC 1/9/12: 73, 4/04/12: 80
    FAR 10/25/12: 80
    REG 02/25/13: 79
    Ethics 100%
    VA License Issued 3/2013

Viewing 15 replies - 136 through 150 (of 1,005 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.