Changes in Regulation CPA July 1 2013 - Page 2

• Creator
    Topic

If someone could clarify what changes in regulation CPA because laws were signed in December 2012 because I read that, but nobody specifies that is what will change, thank you very much for your help.

FAR: 91, first attempt

BEC: 86, first attempt

AUD: 99, first attempt

REG:???

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    Replies

So just to clarify for everyone, starting July 1, Section 179 limits will be $500,000/$2,000,000.

Just curious…why the emphasis on only the Section 179 change? Clearly, a lot of things changed in the tax code this year. Why is this the only change that people are saying to worry about?

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for your help.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Everyone

This is my first post! But I've been a fan of the website for a while. 🙂

I am taking REG on July 16th and am working with the 2012 becker software. I am wondering if I am going to need to know 2012 tax details? My book only has 2011 amounts in it. If so, is there somewhere that i can either download or buy updates for a relatively cheap amount? I dont want to take anything to chance because my audit part is expiring in december so i need to get through reg and bec both in the next window. I would really appreciate anyone's help. thanks!! 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Everyone

This is my first post! But I've been a fan of the website for a while. 🙂

I am taking REG on July 16th and am working with the 2012 becker software. I am wondering if I am going to need to know 2012 tax details? My book only has 2011 amounts in it. If so, is there somewhere that i can either download or buy updates for a relatively cheap amount? I dont want to take anything to chance because my audit part is expiring in december so i need to get through reg and bec both in the next window. I would really appreciate anyone's help. thanks!! 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

I studied REG off of 2011 and that was definitely not what tripped me up on the exam. Worry more about concepts than the numbers that change each year.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I studied REG off of 2011 and that was definitely not what tripped me up on the exam. Worry more about concepts than the numbers that change each year.

J

I second @CPA_Driven, and I've mentioned this in other threads as well, so I apologize for the redundancy. You should be much more concerned with limitations and/or phase-outs that remain constant across a number of years rather than those that change from year to year. I did not encounter a question on REG for which I thought… “Oh *&@%… I wish I would have recalled the change in the AGI limitation from 2012 to 2013”, or “Are they using the 2012 or 2013 number?”…

J

I second @CPA_Driven, and I've mentioned this in other threads as well, so I apologize for the redundancy. You should be much more concerned with limitations and/or phase-outs that remain constant across a number of years rather than those that change from year to year. I did not encounter a question on REG for which I thought… “Oh *&@%… I wish I would have recalled the change in the AGI limitation from 2012 to 2013”, or “Are they using the 2012 or 2013 number?”…

Anonymous
    Inactive

For those of you using Becker, just go on their website for all the changes. I changed my textbook for the 2012 course changes as well as the 2013 course changes. The 2013 course changes were harder to figure out because a few pages of the 2012 text does not match the 2013 text. BTW, contrary to what Becker says, because the American Tax Relief Act of 2012 was signed on January 2nd instead of January 1st, these changes to the REG Exam will be eligible for testing in Q4 , not Q3.

I think most of us know that the $ amount changes won't be tested, but having the right amounts in your textbook is better than having the wrong amounts.

Anonymous
    Inactive

For those of you using Becker, just go on their website for all the changes. I changed my textbook for the 2012 course changes as well as the 2013 course changes. The 2013 course changes were harder to figure out because a few pages of the 2012 text does not match the 2013 text. BTW, contrary to what Becker says, because the American Tax Relief Act of 2012 was signed on January 2nd instead of January 1st, these changes to the REG Exam will be eligible for testing in Q4 , not Q3.

I think most of us know that the $ amount changes won't be tested, but having the right amounts in your textbook is better than having the wrong amounts.

Charlie310, I don't think that's correct. According to the AICPA, “Accounting and auditing pronouncements are eligible to be tested on the Uniform CPA Examination in the testing window beginning six months after a pronouncement's effective date.” On the actual bill, it says the effective date is for taxable years beginning after December 31, 2012. It doesn't matter when it was signed. I'm pretty sure it's eligible for testing in Q3.

Charlie310, I don't think that's correct. According to the AICPA, “Accounting and auditing pronouncements are eligible to be tested on the Uniform CPA Examination in the testing window beginning six months after a pronouncement's effective date.” On the actual bill, it says the effective date is for taxable years beginning after December 31, 2012. It doesn't matter when it was signed. I'm pretty sure it's eligible for testing in Q3.

rupert

“For the federal taxation area, the Internal Revenue Code and federal tax regulations in effect six months before the beginning of the current window may be tested.”

https://www.aicpa.org/becomeacpa/cpaexam/forcandidates/faq/pages/computer_faqs_2.aspx

FAR 90 Oct. 6, 2012
    AUD 96 Dec. 8, 2012
    REG 93 May 30, 2013
    BEC 84 Aug. 31, 2013

NIU CPA Review Correspondence and Wiley Test Bank

rupert

“For the federal taxation area, the Internal Revenue Code and federal tax regulations in effect six months before the beginning of the current window may be tested.”

https://www.aicpa.org/becomeacpa/cpaexam/forcandidates/faq/pages/computer_faqs_2.aspx

FAR 90 Oct. 6, 2012
    AUD 96 Dec. 8, 2012
    REG 93 May 30, 2013
    BEC 84 Aug. 31, 2013

NIU CPA Review Correspondence and Wiley Test Bank

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 72 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.