California CPA License Application Process Time 2018 - Page 11

• Creator
    Topic
    GoBears123
    Participant

I saw a thread like this for past years, so I’m starting one for 2018.

Here’s where I’m at so far:

2/26/18 — mailed in full application, with all requirements completed

3/19/18 — $250 application fee check cashed

Now waiting for some type of word from the CBA.

Gotta say — the CBA is SUPER frustrating to deal with.

Anyone else going through the the same waiting game??

AUD - 90
    BEC - 91
    FAR - 82
    REG - 82
    I'm done!!!

FAR - 6/4/16 - 82
    AUD - 8/27/16
    REG - TBD
    BEC - TBD

Viewing 15 replies - 151 through 165 (of 174 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    TommyTheCat
    Participant

I called the CBA back on Wednesday for my usual “wheres my application at?” weekly check in. The lady did the usual take my name and verified my application had been put in final review as of Sep 14th, similar to the updates I've received the past few weeks. She then put me on hold again and came back a few mins later to confirm that “something would be going out by this week” to me. I asked if it was going out via email or snail mail and she said she could do either and verified my email address.

I have since been checking my gmail app on my phone literally every twenty minutes or so since Wed waiting for this alleged letter to arrive. Hoping its the approval letter asking for the $120 remittance to be fully licensed.

If so that means the CBA has picked up their processing times, since I was originally told the standard 4 – 6 weeks for final review.

Or this lady is just effing with me. Wouldnt be surprised by that either.

AUD - 85
    BEC - 89
    FAR - 91
    REG - 97
    lurking_CPA
    Participant

Last post – finally issued my license and the loop has closed.

4/6/18 – submitted fingerprints and $250 check and application all same day
    5/6 – exactly 30 days after receiving my check they finally cash it
    During this period of time I receive NO confirmation the application is being received or processed
    6/23 – I get a letter saying “congratulations for passing the CPA exam”. False positive for moving forward
    7/3 – I get a letter claiming in my application packet I “forgot” to submit the criminal disclosure form. This is complete bullshit, because I fax it right back to the same day and they say it is now pushed into “final review”
    7/15 – This is the day after multiple phone calls where its been actually moved into “final review”
    8/17 – Called and still nothing, they said it could be OCTOBER before I get my ok to pay the final fee and get a license number
    9/7 – received my approval letter and request for the 120 dollar fee… Sent them my check
    9/25 – called and complained why it was taking so long to cash a check. Was told my check and final application was being processed…. should be “3-4” weeks. I facepalmed.
    9/26 – did my daily “refresh” to check if my license posted and it did! As of 9/26 officially a CPA!
    10/1 – was surprised in the office by my wall hanging certificate!

Overall just about 6 months of waiting…. the wait was torture.

AUD - 85
    BEC - 85
    FAR - 76
    REG - 75
    FAR  - 67, 47, 60, 76
    REG - 55, 56, 75
    AUD - 59, 73, 85
    BEC - 63, 74, 85

Ethics - 92

TommyTheCat
    Participant

damnit, its the letter notifying my application has gone to “enforcement” for a final sign off. Apparently thats the protocol for applications that have a criminal disclosure or DOJ background ping lights up. Was told it will probably be another couple weeks til I get the final word from them.

AUD - 85
    BEC - 89
    FAR - 91
    REG - 97
    muhfreedoms
    Participant

Glad to see that others are getting licensed. I just finished my journey in getting licensed. From the day I put my application in the mail to the day getting licensed was exactly five months. Good luck TommyTheCat, hoping your name will be on the license lookup soon!

AUD - 86
    BEC - 86
    FAR - 81
    REG - 87
    Ninja Only

CA CPA & CFE

Currently studying for CAIA

lurking_CPA
    Participant

The funniest part about getting my license was they still haven't cashed my check. I was told it gets send to another state department for cashing. I guess they thought I'm “good for it”.

AUD - 85
    BEC - 85
    FAR - 76
    REG - 75
    FAR  - 67, 47, 60, 76
    REG - 55, 56, 75
    AUD - 59, 73, 85
    BEC - 63, 74, 85

Ethics - 92

Ijustwanttobefree
    Participant

Thought I would share…finally free!

7/6/18 Mailed fingerprints and $250 check with the application
    7/19/18 check cashed
    7/23/18 Confirmation postcard received
    9/5/18 called board to check status. They told me 2-4 week wait/20 files ahead of me
    9/22/18 received my approval letter and request for the $60 initial license fee
    9/24/18 sent check by certified mail
    9/26/18 received in Sacramento
    10/8/18 checked the CBA license lookup and found my name with number…still have not cashed my check though.

Too bad I'm no longer at my old firm…my current firm's bonus is only 10% of my prior firm's bonus.

AsianNinja
    Participant

Does anyone know how long it would take for CA CBA to issue my license number because I already mailed the intial licensing fees check early this week and my certified mail said it arrived to the board?

MaLoTu
    Participant

@asianninja- it took about a week to show up on the website. I just kept checking the license look up for my name. The actual certificate took longer, about 3 weeks maybe?

Almost always from my phone... please excuse my typos!

All 4 passed - 2016

CA CPA

TommyTheCat
    Participant

called the CBA today and was told my application was accepted on Friday and the initial licensure fee paperwork was mailed out then or will be shortly. The enforcement review went faster than I thought it would. Progress!

Mailed in application in mid june

AUD - 85
    BEC - 89
    FAR - 91
    REG - 97
    tbdice
    Participant

09/20/17 – Passed all of my exams
    07/20/18 – Submitted my application, did live screen, firm submitted my audit hours, I have my MSA so I have all my educational credits
    07/30/18 – CBA received my application
    08/03/18 – CBA cashed my check
    08/07/18 – Received my postcard post dated 8/3
    08/07/18 – Passed my ethics exam
    09/19/18 – Called the CBA. They said they were just starting to process initial review for applications received on 7/10, and I probably won't be done with the initial review process for another 4-6 weeks.
    10/01/18 – Received an email that I forgot to sign the criminal disclosure form. DOH! Didn't notice the email until the following Friday, 10/5.
    10/05/18 – Emailed SIGNED criminal disclosure form – but my application had to go back into the wait line, which is completely my fault.
    10/19/18 – Received email that my application is finally going into final review.

AUD - 85
    BEC - 76
    FAR - 76
    REG - 91
    Live life to the fullest!
    AsianNinja
    Participant

I just got my license # through email from CA board and my name are on the search on the state website. Thanks god I am finally done with this journey. It took me 10 months to pass the exam and 4 months to be licensed. Wish all of you who are stil in the journey best of luck. 😀

Small4
    Participant

since I'm hearing tons of news about insane delay, i figure i join this board:
    11/14/2016: Passed last exam
    Throughout 17-18: addtnl educational requirements taken; sent them those transcripts July '18 directly. Sent general experience around April '17.
    10/23/2018: Passed Ethics. The immediately sent CBA my application and criminal history disclosure plus the live scan service copy.
    We…shall….see…how long this process takes….

FYI:
    I called CBA a few days ago and was told that they are making strides catching up in reviewing applications. They say it usually take a whole month just to get the application for review since it goes to check processing first. However, they said that they are currently on “September” so those who submitted their application that month. I hope he was true to his word but the holidays are coming up so that means, less OT for these folks and less time to review.

AUD - 77
    BEC - 75
    FAR - 82
    REG - 77
    -Becker (do all mcq, period),
    -Buy NINJA mcq (68% trend), and
    -PRINT trouble topics.

-Also Used WTB mcq (68% trend).
    -Do 40-50 SIMs and read answers/try to learn from solutions like its a book example.
    -Lastly, when having trouble with same topic, go big picture and watch trouble lecture

BEC - 68,70,72,75 5/15
    AUD - 78(expired), 77 8/15
    REG - 29,58,65,77 1/16
    FAR - 56,68,73 - retake October hopefully (last shot)

Been doing this since 2007 on and off...

AlexCPA
    Participant

I am getting ready to apply for my General Non-Attest license as I am nearing the end of my 12 months working under a CPA's supervision. I know there is a requirement that we must take a standalone 3 units (4 quarter unit) ethics in accounting class, based on the below:

* Starting on Jan. 1, 2017, and applicant will be required to take a standalone 3-semester or 4-quarter unit course devoted solely to accounting ethics or accountants’ professional responsibilities as part of the 10 unit ethics requirement.

However, I read this note in the FAQ:

* The Masters of Accounting degree will automatically satisfy the 20 semester units of accounting study and the courses taken in order to earn the degree can be counted towards the other educational requirements (24 semester units of accounting subject, 24 semester units of business-related subjects, and 10 semester units of ethics study.)

Does this mean, if I have a master's in accounting, I can use as any leftover credits to satisfy this ethics requirement or will I need to still take a standalone ethics course? I am thinking most likely, I will still have to take it, but hoping for a miracle that I possibly don't based on this. Any chance forensic accounting counts as ethics? Haha as you can see I really dont' want to take it, as I will have to wait until Winter semester to take it, delaying my licensure further (my fault I know).

AUD - 88
    BEC - 81
    FAR - 89
    REG - 85
    CA Candidate

FAR - 89
    AUD - 88
    REG - TBD
    BEC - TBD

Using Becker and Ninja MCQ

turo9992000
    Participant

One of the resources at the CBA website says what the course titles could be to satisfy the ethics requirement. If in doubt contact the CBA through Email they are quick at responding through email, but hell a slow to process applications.

AUD - 64, 80 Passed on 10/09/17

BEC - 75 Passed on 12/09/17

FAR - 69, 71, 73, 83 Passed on 06/10/18

REG - 81 Passed on 09/10/17

jombe
    Participant

What I didn't list below was done in 2017 (such as passing exams, ethics exam, sent transcripts, etc)

4/26/18 live scan sent
    5/2/18 application rec'd at CBA (via UPS tracking, not acknowledgement card)
    5/8/18 emailed CBA asking why my check hasn't been cashed
    5/9/18 per CBA, it takes 3~4 weeks for the application to go from the mail room to whoever that reviews it
    6/5/18 Rec'd acknowledgement card saying CBA rec'd my application
    8/13/18 Rec'd a letter saying I didn't check off a box. Fixed the situation via email.
    9/7/18 Status update letter – “We have received all of the documents required to initiate the evaluation of your application for licensure. Results of this review will be mailed to you in approximately four to six weeks”
    9/17/18 – Status update letter – “…you may need to appear before our QC with work papers before a license with attest authority can be issued… Alternately, you may choose to change your application to seek licensure without attest authority (general)…”
    9/19/18 – Status updat letter – appear before QC on 10/24/18.
    10/24/18 – Appeared before QC to talk about my attest experience. I was told I will get a license w/ attest authority at the end of interview.
    11/6/18 – Got a letter asking for initial licensing fee and that I will get a license w/ attest authority
    11/9/18 – payment arrived at CBA.
    11/27/18 – saw my check was cashed according to my bank
    11/28/18 – called CBA and they told me the licensing technician will have my license# by sometime next week…

SO CLOSE!!!!!!

AUD - 99
    BEC - 91
    FAR - 94
    REG - 96
    --------------------------------------------
    Done with exam. On with life.

FAR - 94 (10/4/15), Local Prep Online Lectures, BISK & NINJA MCQ
    AUD - 99 (1/19/16), Local Prep Online Lectures, BISK & NINJA MCQ
    REG - 96 (4/19/16), Local Prep Online Lectures, BISK & NINJA MCQ
    BEC - 91 (7/19/16), Local Prep Online Lectures, BISK & NINJA MCQ

581 days of listening to lectures, reading texts & 10,000+ MCQs...

Viewing 15 replies - 151 through 165 (of 174 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.