California CPA License Application Process Time 2018 - Page 10

• Creator
    Topic
    GoBears123
    Participant

I saw a thread like this for past years, so I’m starting one for 2018.

Here’s where I’m at so far:

2/26/18 — mailed in full application, with all requirements completed

3/19/18 — $250 application fee check cashed

Now waiting for some type of word from the CBA.

Gotta say — the CBA is SUPER frustrating to deal with.

Anyone else going through the the same waiting game??

AUD - 90
    BEC - 91
    FAR - 82
    REG - 82
    I'm done!!!

FAR - 6/4/16 - 82
    AUD - 8/27/16
    REG - TBD
    BEC - TBD

Viewing 15 replies - 136 through 150 (of 174 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    TommyTheCat
    Participant

congratulations! very excited for you

AUD - 85
    BEC - 89
    FAR - 91
    REG - 97
    muhfreedoms
    Participant

Congrats to you MaLoTu but that makes me even sadder about my own situation. I sent my application in April and still have yet to get approved. Called today and was notified the final review still hasn't happened for my application. When I asked how much longer it would be, they said 8-12 weeks. What a joke… The California Board of Accountancy is an embarrassment.

AUD - 86
    BEC - 86
    FAR - 81
    REG - 87
    Ninja Only

CA CPA & CFE

Currently studying for CAIA

MaLoTu
    Participant

@muhfreedoms – that is frustrating! The only thing I can think of is that I have had everything but my ethics exam done for many months preceding my initial application. I passed the exams in 2016 and had my work experience verification in sometime last year. Perhaps those had been preliminarily reviewed beforehand.
    I say just keep bugging them. When I applied to take the exams they actually documented receipt of my application and then it fell out of the queue. I called right before the Christmas holiday and the manager got it approved within an hour.

Almost always from my phone... please excuse my typos!

All 4 passed - 2016

CA CPA

jombe
    Participant

Another update –

My application arrived @ CBA on 5/1/18.
    9/7/18 – I got a status update letter today dated 8/30/18 that states “We have received all of the documents required to initiate the evaluation of your application for licensure. Results of this review will be mailed to you in approximately four to six weeks”

When I emailed CBA around 9/3, CBA told me that my application went thru the initial review and was forwarded for final review and that it'll take 8 – 12 weeks.
    I still plan on bugging CBA in 4 weeks based on the letter and see if that would help expedite the process.

Best case scenario, I am guessing 4 weeks for final review and 1-2 weeks for processing payment, etc before I get my license #… which means 5 months from the date my application arrived at CBA… LMAO!

I have no doubt in mind that the people at CBA is working diligently on our applications, but 5 months turnaround time is just sad.

AUD - 99
    BEC - 91
    FAR - 94
    REG - 96
    --------------------------------------------
    Done with exam. On with life.

FAR - 94 (10/4/15), Local Prep Online Lectures, BISK & NINJA MCQ
    AUD - 99 (1/19/16), Local Prep Online Lectures, BISK & NINJA MCQ
    REG - 96 (4/19/16), Local Prep Online Lectures, BISK & NINJA MCQ
    BEC - 91 (7/19/16), Local Prep Online Lectures, BISK & NINJA MCQ

581 days of listening to lectures, reading texts & 10,000+ MCQs...

Hosmer
    Participant

Just got my pre-approval letter! About 6 weeks after my application was placed in the queue for final review. Pretty happy with that, I was told 8-12 weeks like the rest of you.

This was a re-review. I had to take some additional accounting credits and get verification from Texas for the CPA signing off on my experience. Maybe the followup reviews are done faster?

Sent in my $120 check. Hoping we can get all this done by October.

AUD - 81
    BEC - 84
    FAR - 86
    REG - 82
    Ethics - 78, 88, 94

Do.  Or not do. There is no try.

TommyTheCat
    Participant

bunch of monkeys working over there. Just called for an update and the dude I spoke with sounded like he had no idea where he was. He was telling me they were still waiting for a revised general experience sign off to be sent by my employer….which my employer emailed in and the CBA confirmed recieved via email back on 8/29. Dude sounded like he had just taken a bong rip. Not gonna lie, kinda jealous…

AUD - 85
    BEC - 89
    FAR - 91
    REG - 97
    jombe
    Participant

TommytheCat – i just read one of your older posts saying the initial review is just making sure they have all the forms they need… I just interpreted “initial review” as something like an advisory score before they give you a final score on your exam. I am a little more stressed out now, because I was told that my application went thru the initial review and is w/ the final review crew. I was thinking I met the requirements per initial review, but if they didn't see whether I met specific requirement, well, I am just praying that my application will be approved… I have some classes I took that CBA might consider to be duplicate courses. For example, I took Intermediate Accounting from where I obtained my degree, but I also took Accounting II from another institute 4 years after graduation for a refresher. I was told that some states only look at the name of the courses and if they are different, they accept that as two separate courses. Some states look at the contents of each course and if they think you took a class that's materially similar to each other, they only accept one of the courses you took toward you educational requirement. If California is one of those latter states, I am sure I might have to take some additional classes toward core accounting requirement. ANYWAYS, I guess I will just have to wait and see.

AUD - 99
    BEC - 91
    FAR - 94
    REG - 96

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi, I just passed the last section and am ready to join this waiting game. 😀
    I have a simple question. When you send the application and check of $250, do you use certified mail or fedex, regular mail with delivery confirmation?
    I passed ethic test and did fingerprint already. Also my boss signed the experience form. So only I need is to send an application and check. Thank you!

jombe
    Participant

Clover – I used Fedex or UPS. Don't remember which. When I had my transcript sent in by regular mail, it somehow got lost in transit and CBA never got it. Since then, anything I send to CBA is done thru Fedex or UPS w/ tracking.

AUD - 99
    BEC - 91
    FAR - 94
    REG - 96

lurking_CPA
    Participant

Lots of people are getting notice they are claiming the criminal disclosure form is “missing” I believe they are simply “buying time” for more delays.

4/6/18 – submitted fingerprints and $250 check and application all same day
    5/6 – exactly 30 days after receiving my check they finally cash it
    During this period of time I receive NO confirmation the application is being received or processed
    6/23 – I get a letter saying “congratulations for passing the CPA exam”. False positive for moving forward
    7/3 – I get a letter claiming in my application packet I “forgot” to submit the criminal disclosure form. This is complete bullshit, because I fax it right back to the same day and they say it is now pushed into “final review”
    7/15 – This is the day after multiple phone calls where its been actually moved into “final review”
    8/17 – Called and still nothing, they said it could be OCTOBER before I get my ok to pay the final fee and get a license number
    9/7 – received my approval letter and request for the 120 dollar fee… Sent them my check

Let's see if this gets done by October… Feel so close to the finish line but so far knowing the CBA

AUD - 85
    BEC - 85
    FAR - 76
    REG - 75
    FAR  - 67, 47, 60, 76
    REG - 55, 56, 75
    AUD - 59, 73, 85
    BEC - 63, 74, 85

Ethics - 92

GoBears123
    Participant

Hi all — glad to see some folks are making process. I am happy to report that I am (finally) making progress as well!

I called the CBA this morning (9/12/18) for a status check and was told I passed Final Review on 9/7/18. They said they sent out the notification letter on Monday (9/10/18); I should be receiving it any day now. Once I get it, fill it out and send it back with a check for the licensing fee, the estimated I have another month before I am officially a CPA.

The good news for you all is: They said they are finally catching up with their backlog! I so hope that is true. My journey has been ridiculous — already been ~7 months and with another month to go. I hope no one else has to go through this.

Here's my updated log, mostly for my own entertainment 🙂

4/7/18 — received postcard from CBA (postmarked 4/3/18) acknowledging they received my application
    5/11/18 — received letter from CBA saying I need to work with the Illinois accounting board on verifying the license of the person signing off on my experience requirement
    5/16/18 — mailed request to Illinois board for verification. Their estimate is 4 weeks. (CBA says once they get this they’ll need another 8-10 weeks for “final review”)
    6/25/18 — Illinois board cashed my $20 check. Called them to check on processing. They said processing now takes 4 weeks
    6/27/18 — received letter from CBA saying my application will be put on hold in 60 days if they don't get the verification
    7/25/18 — called Illinois board to check on processing my verification. They said it was sent to California on 7/18/18. Called CBA, they haven't received yet — but they DID commit to getting back to me by the end of the week
    7/27/18 — the CBA actually called me and were actually helpful! They confirmed they got what they needed from Illinois, and I have been moved into FINAL REVIEW! They said final review will take 8-10 weeks, but at least I'm making progress
    9/12/18 — called the CBA and was told I had been cleared through Final Review on 9/7/18! Now waiting for the notification in the mail for my next step….

AUD - 90
    BEC - 91
    FAR - 82
    REG - 82
    I'm done!!!

FAR - 6/4/16 - 82
    AUD - 8/27/16
    REG - TBD
    BEC - TBD

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Jombe,
    I think that’s the best way too. Thank you!!

ML
    Participant

Submitted my license application earlier this week. All requirements have been met except I'll probably have to take an ethics class and then some to meet the 150 units. The wait begins. I will update my timeline as the process progresses.

AUD (08/31/18) - PASSED  [ROGER + NINJA]

BEC (05/22/17) - PASSED  [ROGER]

FAR (06/06/18) - PASSED  [ROGER + NINJA]

REG (09/07/17) - PASSED  [ROGER]

CA PETH - 94 (09/17/18)

I can't believe I am done. It was slow, unsteady, and painful. But so so worth it.

FAR - 7/31/14
    AUG - ???
    REG - ???
    BEC - ???

"These are the precincts of pain. A goddess lives here. Her name is victory." - Unknown

tbdice
    Participant

I can finally join this post. 🙂
    9/2017 – Passed all of my exams
    7/20/18 – Submitted my application, did live screen, firm submitted my audit hours, I have my MSA so I have all my educational credits
    7/30/18 – CBA received my application
    8/03/18 – CBA cashed my check
    8/07/18 – Received my postcard post dated 8/3
    8/07/18 – Passed my ethics exam
    9/19/18 – Called the CBA. They said they were just starting to process initial review for applications received on 7/10, and I probably won't be done with the initial review process for another 4-6 weeks. Then, I'll have to wait for the final review.

I'm crossing my fingers for it to happen before the end of the year.

AUD - 85
    BEC - 76
    FAR - 76
    REG - 91
    Live life to the fullest!
    GoBears123
    Participant

Hi again everyone — it is with great excitement and happiness that I share with you all: I AM OFFICIALLY A CPA!!!

Below is the FINAL update to my looooong timeline:

4/7/18 — received postcard from CBA (postmarked 4/3/18) acknowledging they received my application
    5/11/18 — received letter from CBA saying I need to work with the Illinois accounting board on verifying the license of the person signing off on my experience requirement
    5/16/18 — mailed request to Illinois board for verification. Their estimate is 4 weeks. (CBA says once they get this they’ll need another 8-10 weeks for “final review”)
    6/25/18 — Illinois board cashed my $20 check. Called them to check on processing. They said processing now takes 4 weeks
    6/27/18 — received letter from CBA saying my application will be put on hold in 60 days if they don't get the verification
    7/25/18 — called Illinois board to check on processing my verification. They said it was sent to California on 7/18/18. Called CBA, they haven't received yet — but they DID commit to getting back to me by the end of the week
    7/27/18 — the CBA actually called me and were actually helpful! They confirmed they got what they needed from Illinois, and I have been moved into FINAL REVIEW! They said final review will take 8-10 weeks, but at least I'm making progress
    9/12/18 — called the CBA and was told I had been cleared through Final Review on 9/7/18! Now waiting for the notification in the mail for my next step….
    9/13/18 — received the notification letter in the mail from the CBA
    9/14/18 — mailed it back with check for $120 for processing fee
    10/4/18 — called CBA to check on status (check still had not been cashed per my bank). They confirmed that my application was processed on 9/26 and that I am officially a CPA!
    TOTAL TIME FROM MAILING IN APPLICATION: 7.5 MONTHS

Phew!

AUD - 90
    BEC - 91
    FAR - 82
    REG - 82
    I'm done!!!

FAR - 6/4/16 - 82
    AUD - 8/27/16
    REG - TBD
    BEC - TBD

Viewing 15 replies - 136 through 150 (of 174 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.