FAR Study Group Q4 2014 - Page 108

• Creator
    Topic
    jeff
    Keymaster

SO I know every test is different but does anyone have any insight on what has been heavily tested recently? I take the exam Monday and I need to narrow my focus….Thanks!

AUD - 79
    BEC - 80
    FAR - 76
    REG - 92
    Jeff Elliott, CPA (KS)
    NINJA CPA | NINJA CMA | NINJA CPE | Another71
Viewing 15 replies - 1,606 through 1,620 (of 1,629 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Yeah SIMs covered material that I have seen in Becker, format was sort of bizarre for a few of them.

Determined CPA
    Participant

My questions were def straightforward, nothing crazy. I never think my testlets get harder so I don't know what to say about that. My research was easy to find. 3 sims were very hard. Didn't even really know what one wanted. Hoping it was a pretest!

A - 75
    B - 78 God is good.
    F - 77 Answered prayers.
    R - 84! Done!!

Paperwork sent - waiting for license!!
    Still on a cloud and in shock. Through God, all things will happen.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Determined,

I would just think that we were prepared without sounding biased

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yeah, did any of you notice what exactly the research SIM was asking for? As in what specific part of the ASC format they wanted?

Determined CPA
    Participant

I hope so nick! This is the first time I literally have nothin to study. No other test to decide if I should start studying for. Feels good to relax!!!!!

A - 75
    B - 78 God is good.
    F - 77 Answered prayers.
    R - 84! Done!!

Future Ninja
    Participant

@determined sounds like you nailed FAR. how lucky you didn't get bonds. did you get the same simulation I asked you about?

AUD - 79 (expired) retaking July 28,2016
    FAR - 76 expiring July 31, 2016
    BEC - 85
    REG - 74,74,74,74,59,70,

yanks2

My MCQ definitely had a lot of conceptual. Much more than I was used to seeing in Becker.

Definitely agree with @Determined about the SIMS. None of them were on material I hadn't seem before. But I think they were worded really poorly and it was tough to tell exactly what they wanted.

Future Ninja
    Participant

To those who took FAR recently: what is your answer to this question:

On January 1, 2014, Gearty Company issued 10 year bond with a par value of $1,500,000 and an annual fixed coupon rate of 8% which is consistent with market rates for bonds with similar characteristics. Gearty company uses LIBOR as its observable (benchmark) interest rate. At the inception of the bond, LIBOR is 5%. At the end of the fiscal year the LIBOR decreased to 4.75%.

The FV of the bond is $1,538,110 with an interest rate of 7.6%. Gearty company assumes a flat yield curve, that all changes in interest's rates result from a parallel shift in the yield curve and that the changes in LIBOR are the only relevant changes in market conditions. The bond's internal rate of return at the start of the period is 8%.

What is the gain or loss should the company disclose in OCI?

AUD - 79 (expired) retaking July 28,2016
    FAR - 76 expiring July 31, 2016
    BEC - 85
    REG - 74,74,74,74,59,70,

Determined CPA
    Participant

I wouldn't say I nailed it – I thought I nailed audit the first time I took it and got a 70. Q4 is no joke!! I didn't get a sim on that actually.

What shall I do today? Weirdest feeling ever! I can actually watch a football game without guilt!

A - 75
    B - 78 God is good.
    F - 77 Answered prayers.
    R - 84! Done!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

@thelonewolf527 – I second your opinion, looks like we had very similar tests. MCQs never really got harder and the SIMs were just all around terrible. There were tables of data to be populated, never seen anything like that before.

I did about 90% of NINJA MCQs and all 71 SIMs in NINJA prior to yesterday (plus full Roger FAR course) and based on my yesterday's performance, I may have just walked in without wasting 3mos of my life and probably receive the same score

I am ok with the fact that I failed the test, and obviously it is my fault, but the worst thing is I am not sure what to do differently for my next attempt. After my yesterday's experience, I feel as no matter what I do I will never be adequately prepared to pass this thing.

Anonymous
    Inactive

So i took Fare today and it was not that bad. Mcqs were ok but simulations I didnt knew how to do 5 of 7 lol. Actually I quited the exam. I am not going to study in Christmas. This will be my first retake. My audit exam expires in July 2015. I had the idea that this will help to know what material is more tested so I will be prepared for 2015.

Nat63

Determined CPA, CONGRATULATIONS with passed FAR !! Thanks for sharing your FAR-experience. Relax, feel confident and enjoy “5minutes away of CPA status” life……

Two questions.

If you don't mind, would you tell what sources you have been using to crash IFRS and what would be the best way to digest IFRS vs. GAAP, chapter by chapter or to leave it till the end of a pre-exam period of time.

How you have managed FAR exam-time ? Did you take a brake I a mid of the exam or it is better not to distract a head?? Thanks.

Determined CPA
    Participant

Nat from your lips to Gods ears on the far pass! My luck I will get a 74!

I used njnja notes, mcqs and audio for ifrs and most of my studying. I also used Becker but relied more heavily on ninja. I allow myself 55 mins per 30 Questions leaving a good 1.5-2 hours for the sims. I usually take a break in between the 3rd testlet and the sims but I didn't for far. I also use all my time. I've never left an exam even 1 min early. If I finish the sims I just double check them.

You will be fine!

Another71 is an amazing resource with very intelligent people that seem to always know the answers to the questions I can never figure out!

This journey is a long one. It takes serious dedication. I put In a lot of hours for just passing scores. Was never a good test taker so I know I need to work extra hard just for a 75. Others do better with less! I wish you the best of luck!

A - 75
    B - 78 God is good.
    F - 77 Answered prayers.
    R - 84! Done!!

Gabe
    Participant

Anyone else studying while waiting for FAR score? I have a week of waiting…maybe I should start on REG? Thoughts?

CPA, CFE
    CISA- Experience will be completed by August 2016

Determined CPA
    Participant

Not everyone will agree with me but I think its best to wait to get your results. Far is super fresh in your mind. In the event you failed, you could retake it within 3-4 weeks of a restudy

A - 75
    B - 78 God is good.
    F - 77 Answered prayers.
    R - 84! Done!!

Viewing 15 replies - 1,606 through 1,620 (of 1,629 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.