FAR Study Group Q1 2015 - Page 21

Viewing 15 replies - 301 through 315 (of 851 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

This is the explanation the Becker review material gave regarding the PSC not recognized:

The $5,000 of prior service cost would be a positive addition to comprehensive income in the year that it was amortized to net periodic pension cost. In this problem, it is not being recognized in net periodic pension cost.

rossk

You back out prior service cost because it reduces OCI and amortized each year as an expense then you will take it out of OCI and recognize it in I/S

Determined CPA
    Participant

Thank you all for the responses!! Truly appreciate it!

A - 75
    B - 78 God is good.
    F - 77 Answered prayers.
    R - 84! Done!!

Paperwork sent - waiting for license!!
    Still on a cloud and in shock. Through God, all things will happen.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes, you're right. I should have backed out $5k instead of adding it. Thanks!

Determined CPA
    Participant

At least you knew to do something with it LOL

It didn't fit in the PUFE mnemonic so I ignored it – ugh

A - 75
    B - 78 God is good.
    F - 77 Answered prayers.
    R - 84! Done!!

Paperwork sent - waiting for license!!
    Still on a cloud and in shock. Through God, all things will happen.

Satchman

Prior Service cost is recognized in the OCI, and we amortize it in a straight line basis where PSC is divided by the average employee no. of years.

When we amortize the PSC, the amortization is included in the Pension Expense.

The reason is if we recognize all the PSC costs of all the prior years in the earnings, it skews the financial statements portrayal in the sense it makes it look very volatile. Hence, we put that in OCI and amortize it slowly over the avg. life of the employees. In addition, if there are future PSC gains they can be netted out.

Satchman

I am taking FAR in two days – first timer. Any tips/hacks and suggestions on what to do and what not, what to expect at the center, Bars, water, procedures, sleep, caffeine, before exam day ritual etc etc.

Your inputs will be highly appreciated

Thanks

Anonymous
    Inactive

Make sure you are well rested and avoid too much caffeine. Made the mistake of going overboard with energy drinks last time I tested and I couldn't focus for S*** during the first testlet.

Anonymous
    Inactive

If you've put in the time studying then you're in good shape. GOOD LUCK!!

Satchman

Thanks @CTM – I am high on caffeine all the time esp monster. Thanks for the input.

Right now, I am worried about sleeping well the night before the exam. I am kind of an insomniac.

SkilletCPA
    Participant

Satchman: I recommend relaxing the day before and eat well the morning of the exam. If thinking of any studying do it lightly and put up your materials by 2 or 3 pm the night before and go watch a movie or TV. I'm confident that you will do well! Good luck to you!

BEC Pass
    AUD Pass
    REG Pass
    FAR Pass

Satchman

Thanks @Skillet CPA

fuyuki

feeling pretty down right now. Just took FAR today…

MCQ testlets didn't really get “harder” Testlets I took today seems to be alot less calculation and more concept related qeustions…

Totally missed one simulation. Wiley didn't cover the simulation for this topic so I was totally unprepared for this simulation question. Other simulations were okay

I'm very anxious. Don't know if I should start studying for next exam (AUD) or just keep reviewing FAR until I see my score

Satchman

One more question folks

Are we allowed to go back and forth, skip a question and come back later within a testlet ? I am assuming we are allowed but not sure.

fuyuki

@satchman: you can go back and forth within a testlet.

Viewing 15 replies - 301 through 315 (of 851 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.