FAR Study Group Q1 2015 - Page 56

Viewing 15 replies - 826 through 840 (of 851 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

@CPAbefore40 – Which funds are tripping you up? I'm really good at those for the most part. The only thing that trips me up is that in the real world some funds classified one way have activity that implies that maybe they should be applied another. I've seen funds that get rolled up into the general fund that also have a special revenue source (arguably), are used to pay debt service (arguably), and are used to pay for capital projects. lol

se7en.14
    Participant

Consider a bond selling at par ($100) with a coupon rate of 6% and 10 years to maturity.

What is the price of this bond if the required yield is 15%? For annual & semi annual.

Thanks

mommyof3texans
    Participant

In the first Becker Sim for the 1st chapter, the scoring gave me a yellow incorrect for putting a zero in a line not needed yet the solution shows a zero. Should I leave these blank on the actual exam or is a zero ok?

BEC - 02/21/15 - 82
    FAR - 05/29/15 - 82
    AUD - 07/09/15 - 93
    REG - 11/14/15 - 80

All done!!!

jbarwick

I'd like the know the answer too! Becker will sometimes mark blanks wrong when it wants 0's and 0's wrong when it wants blanks. I have heard the exam will not count you wrong for 0's.

Journey Started - January 2015
    FAR - 4/2015 - Passed
    AUD - 7/2015 - Passed
    BEC - 8/2015 - Passed
    REG - 11/12/2015 - Passed

NAT

IFRS – controversial thing: help will be appreciated:

I just got a question for everybody. IFRS prohibits extraordinary items. Nevertheless, per IFRS, cash flows from extraordinary items are required to be disclosed separately under the categories. The cash from the acquisition or disposal of a subsidiary is presented separately as an investing activity. Am I missing something?

Thanks

FAR - 07/2015
    AUD - TBD
    REG - TBD
    BEC -TBD

We suffer one of two things in our life. The pain of discipline or the pain of disappointments.
    When you are disciplined, there is no pain of disappointments.

NAT

Is it about NO EXTRAORDINARY items on the IIncome Statement. But “yes” to extraordinary things” on Cash Flow Statements as “investing activity” ??

FAR - 07/2015
    AUD - TBD
    REG - TBD
    BEC -TBD

We suffer one of two things in our life. The pain of discipline or the pain of disappointments.

Could anybody please help me out to figure:

Why for the DEPS of ($3.00), they ALSO included 15000 shares? If the assumed conversion for the DEPS (for the net loss instance) had an “antidilutive effect”, then the assumed shares should not (I thought) be counted into the numerator data?

During all of the year just ended, Littlefield, Inc., had outstanding 100,000 shares of common stock and 5,000 shares of noncumulative, $7 preferred stock. Each share of the latter is convertible into three shares of common. For the year, Littlefield had $230,000 income from continuing operations and $575,000 of extraordinary losses; no dividends were paid or declared. Littlefield should report diluted earnings (loss) per share (DEPS) for income from continuing operations and for net income (loss), respectively, of

A. $2.30 and $(3.45).

B. $2.00 and $(3.00).

C. $2.19 and $(3.29).

D. $2.26 and $(3.39).

Answer (B) is correct.

The noncumulative convertible preferred stock is dilutive because its assumed conversion will have no effect on the DEPS numerator and will increase the denominator by 15,000 (5,000 × 3) shares. DEPS for income from continuing operations is $2.00 ($230,000 ÷ 115,000 shares). Net loss equals the $230,000 income from continuing operations minus the $575,000 extraordinary loss, or $345,000. This amount divided by the 115,000 shares results in a diluted net loss per share of $3.00.

The effect of including the convertible preferred in the calculation of the net loss per share is antidilutive. However, potential common stock that is dilutive for purposes of determining DEPS from continuing operations must be included in all calculations of diluted per-share amounts.

THANKS!!!

excel monkey
    Participant

@mommyof3texans – The exam will specify, at least in my experience, if it wants 0's in unused boxes on the sims.

@NAT@2014 – Where did you find that “cash flows from extraordinary items are required to be disclosed separately under the categories”? I don't remember running across that in my studies, so I did a quick search and found, in IAS 1.87 “Items cannot be presented as ‘extraordinary items' in the financial statements or in the notes”.

@Galina-Virginia – The key lies in the last sentence of the explanation. Since the 15,000 shares were dilutive for DEPS from continuing operations, they are also included in the DEPS from net loss even though they are antidilutive for DEPS from net loss. In determining if something is dilutive or antidilutive, you use income from continuing operations. If it is dilutive for income from continuning operations, you include it (consider it dilutive) for all DEPS calculations. If income form continuing operations is not available, income before extraordinary items is used.

FAR - 91
    AUD - 88
    BEC - 86
    REG - 79

Thank You very much excel monkey!

NAT

To Excel monkey:

Yes, you are right about IAS 1.87: IFRS PROHIBITS EXTRAORDINARY ITEMS. Nevertheless, I met a statement on NINJA NOTES at IFRS section:

Cash flows from extraordinary items are required to be disclosed separately under the categories. The cash from the acquisition or disposal of a subsidiary is presented separately as an investing activity.

So, I was very confused. Looks like we need to address this question to Jeff. From the very beginning my understanding was that IFRS totally prohibits Extraordinary items. I will email Jeff – NINJA creator.

FAR - 07/2015
    AUD - TBD
    REG - TBD
    BEC -TBD

Determined CPA
    Participant

Now that we are officially in the release month, i keep going over the sims over and over and really hopeful that i did enough for a 75! Im a mess. I lose reg if i fail =( The worst!!!

A - 75
    B - 78 God is good.
    F - 77 Answered prayers.
    R - 84! Done!!

Paperwork sent - waiting for license!!
    Still on a cloud and in shock. Through God, all things will happen.

excel monkey
    Participant

Think positive – With daylight savings time starting on the 8th, we have one less hour to wait for our passing scores during this release =)

FAR - 91
    AUD - 88
    BEC - 86
    REG - 79

Determined CPA
    Participant

LOL very true! How was your exam??

A - 75
    B - 78 God is good.
    F - 77 Answered prayers.
    R - 84! Done!!

excel monkey
    Participant

I'm not to sure how I feel about it. I didn't walk out feeling like I nailed it out of the park, but I also don't think I bombed it. I wouldn't be surprised if 85 or a 65 showed up next week. I know I nailed most of the sims, however, it seemed like most of the MCQs were out of left field (maybe they're the only ones that made an impression). Either way I'm on to audit this week. I figure worst case scenario I ditch a week of audit study and retake FAR, best case scenario I'm a week ahead of where I would have been if I had taken the week off.

FAR - 91
    AUD - 88
    BEC - 86
    REG - 79

Determined CPA
    Participant

Im glad you feel confident with the sims – thats what usually gives people the most trouble. Hopefully the MCQs seemed out of left field bc you were doing well so they gave you harder questions =)

A - 75
    B - 78 God is good.
    F - 77 Answered prayers.
    R - 84! Done!!

Viewing 15 replies - 826 through 840 (of 851 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.