[FAR] Exam Prep and Score Releases: January-February 2010 - Page 105

Viewing 9 replies - 1,561 through 1,569 (of 1,569 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    AARON
    Participant

In my opinion, Becker & Prep questions in general are harder than the questions on the exam. That being said, don't get discouraged while preparing for this exam. While yes, it is true, the SIMs are hard on the brink of undoable and ridicoulous. You can pass this thing without very good SIMs. The keys, in my opinion, are the following:

1. Don't give up on studying, don't get discouraged, and know that everytime you get a question wrong, it just means you're on your way to getting it right.

2. When you take the exam, really work to dominate the 90 MC. You'll be shocked as to how well you handle the 1st testlet. Move onto testlet 2 and 3 and give it all you have, trust your prep and don't lose confidence.

3 When you get to the SIMs, work on the COM/RES tabs first. Write a GOOD COM, it's going to be worth your while! Try to find the RES thereafter, but don't go crazy if you can't. Then move on to the craziest part of the exam: THE SIM TABS!

4. Browse through the tabs, look for topics you are comfortable with. Work those first! Your goal here is to just try and earn as many points as possible under the assumption you'll get 0 points here. Everytime you feel good about an answer or two, means your closer and closer to passing. You can do this.

For me, I received a 72. I can tell you, I felt good about MC (not great) and I felt good about the COM/RES (not great) and bombed the SIM tabs. I know that if I didn't bomb the SIM tabs, I would have passed. Next time, I need to do GREAT on the MC and better on the SIMs and I think I'll be done!

? AUD - 87 (8/12/09)
    ? REG - 77 (1/15/10
    ? BEC - 77 (1/6/09 - Expired) / 79 (11/18/10)
    ? FAR - 75 (2/11/11)

Anonymous
    Inactive

But I have a question, does every topic in the Becker book is tested on the exam????? I feel that I am forgetting things

Anonymous
    Inactive

Christian, no, not every topic is tested. I was surprised at the time I spent studying topics that seemed so important and were not touched on the exam. Becker just tries to cover everything, and a 90-question multiple choice test can't possibly test everything.

Trouble is, you never know what the exam will test more heavily on. The exam I retake in May will probably cover completely different topics than the one I took in January.

Anonymous
    Inactive

But for an effective review, it is helpful to read the flashcards and then do the MCQs again or read the chapters once again?

Anonymous
    Inactive

For me it was more helpful to read the chapters again and make sure I understood the concepts….but from what I have read, most people prefer doing tons of m/c questions. I guess just do both!

FARbehind
    Participant

CPAWannaBe, my personal opinion is that you should speed up your process. I know you are busy with family, full time job and kids. I am in the same boat as you. I passed my first exam, AUD in August 09 and then failed BEC with 73 in November. Then I panicked because it was almost January and I had only passed 1 exam. So I decided to take 2 exams in every window from then on until I pass. And yes I have 2 kids and busy full time job. I retook BEC in Jan and passed with 80, sat for FAR in February (failed with 73 again). Now I know at least I “only” have 2 to go. I am taking both of them in next session, no matter what. It seems like I tend to pass “at least” one per window. You passed your REG in August, you clock is ticking. Your goal should be to take the other exams as soon as possible so that you don't lose your credit for REg. It might seem like you have a lot of time but time flies. I don't know why I felt the urge to write to you. Maybe because you are one of the few people to have a picture and your story feels more personal. Maybe because of the similar timelines we have..

aud,bec,reg-passed
    far-->75 Done!!!!!
    ethics-100

FARbehind
    Participant

Oh by the way, I had a simulation tab on gov acctg in Feb. So don't think gov acctg is not given in simulations, it is…

aud,bec,reg-passed
    far-->75 Done!!!!!
    ethics-100

Anonymous
    Inactive

FARbehind,

I agree. I should step it up a notch, but I am just so pooped right now. I am enjoying my break from studying during tax season, which is whipping me. The guilt tears me up though. Last night I couldn't get away from a client and my 8-year old arrived too late to participate in his play. I'll admit I can't do it all and that is why I am not studying at the moment because I really don't need another thing to fail right now.

A structured plan is already in place for after April 15. I will focus on FAR until I pass since I have a one-track mind. No matter what, I plan to take two exams in the 3rd quarter window. You're right about time passing by so fast. I spent the 4th quarter 2009 totally devoted to FAR. If I could just pass FAR, I would psychologically feel better; the halfway point would mean the world to me. May thru December is the time I can really devote to the exam. Ugh. This is the hardest thing I've ever done in my life.

FARbehind
    Participant

That sounds like a good plan. You may also consider taking some other less challenging parts first, like AUD. Passing AUD will give you that “half way through” feeling and this will make things much less overwhelming. I switched to REG now and if I pass REG I will have only FAR to deal with. I know I will feel much better.

aud,bec,reg-passed
    far-->75 Done!!!!!
    ethics-100

Viewing 9 replies - 1,561 through 1,569 (of 1,569 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.