[FAR] Exam Prep and Score Releases: April/May 2010 - Page 112

Viewing 15 replies - 1,666 through 1,680 (of 1,694 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    kewinnett
    Participant

whonis2002 – I think becker is great. I committed in january that i would prepare for, sit for, and pass all four parts of the exam by June. I have done that. I watched every lecture, did every question, and essentially rewrote each chapter's notes. It was a PAIN but it worked. I actually have a callous from the writing! Got my FAR score last night at 10 pm and AUD Monday at 10 pm.

REG 02/17 89

BEC 03/01 80

FAR 04/19 91 – after an agonizingly long wait

AUD 05/15 85

potatogun
    Participant

@whonis2002

I'll share my FAR experience as well since it is pretty recent.

I use Becker as well and put in similar hours as Jules2486 did. About 250-300hrs. I watched the lectures through, read the book thoroughly once with periodic reviews (skimming). I did all the questions in the software once (reading my incorrect responses and later reanswering). I did the simulations twice but really just reviewed them through the second time.

I reread through the book as part of my final review but more so confirming my understanding. Then I did the two final tests.

I got a 92 in FAR. So probably overkill like Jules2486 said as well.

FAR 92 - AUD 91 - REG 94 - BEC 86

Anonymous
    Inactive

LB0324,

Congratulations! Regardless of whether it was worth it or not, you should still be proud of what you accomplished knowing that it was no easy achievement. Your persistence in pursuing your goals (despite the questionable benefit) speaks highly of your character.

whonis2002
    Participant

Nice insight Jules2486,dumb sum and potatogun. I really appreciate the advise, let me get my “tush” down and forget about the extra activities in beautiful sunny California and concentrate for next one week. I guess its very attainable if you put your mind to it…:)

italianCPA
    Participant

Whonis2002,

Where are you in Cali and when do you plan to sit for FAR?

FAR - 7/26/10 - 95
    AUD - 8/10/10 - 88
    BEC - 8/31/10 - 88
    REG - 10/15/10 - 95

whonis2002
    Participant

I forgot ask and maybe you folks who done these exams before can clarify on this. Is it true that if you have done well on a testlet then the next one you take becomes alot more difficult?

hopefulCPA1
    Participant

yes – that is true. testlets start medium and if you do well go to difficult and if you do well again then it is another difficult one

BEC 84 (4/9) AUD 94 (4/30)
    REG 87 (5/27) FAR 89 (7/3)

whonis2002
    Participant

ItalianCPA am in Woodland Hills CA. Planning to take FAR in July

whonis2002
    Participant

Doesn't seem fair especially if somebody else scores moderately in each testlet. They may have more of an advantage in passing the exam than one who actually does well in one testlate and is subject to difficult ones the next round.

italianCPA
    Participant

whonis2002,

The answers are weighted also, so if you get a more difficult question right, you get a higher score.

It works like the GMAT.

I'm in LA and I plan to take FAR probably around July 10, but I'm waiting to hear from the CBA so I can't schedule yet.

FAR - 7/26/10 - 95
    AUD - 8/10/10 - 88
    BEC - 8/31/10 - 88
    REG - 10/15/10 - 95

FARbehind
    Participant

Cpawannabe,

one thing that is surprising for me from your experience is that your score when you were very well prepared was 69 and your score when you weren't prepared and said did a lot of guessing was 64. Isn't is odd that the difference is only 5 points? I would say it should be at least 15. Makes me think doesn't matter how much we study it is all strategy. ?!?

LB0324,

I agree with you. I think everything beyond 2 years is waste of time and not worth. Also makes me think this is not the field for that person, they might be missing on some other talents with the stupid cpa exam. I will keep going for now but if I have to go beyond 18 months and start losing credits then it is the point to me to reconsider it all. I know in this country people are taught that sky is the limit but knowing your limits is precious…Congratulations and good luck! If you passed it you deserve it. Enjoy your cpa-free life!

aud,bec,reg-passed
    far-->75 Done!!!!!
    ethics-100

jeff
    Keymaster

LB0324 – congrats!

It took me 3 years to pass, but that's because I wasn't serious about it. Once I got pissed off and decided to be dedicated (i.e. stop goofing off after the kids were in bed and start grinding it out with my study materials), I passed and it was worth it.

LB0324, no one can ever take away your accomplishment…you beat the CPA Exam!

Jeff

AUD - 79
    BEC - 80
    FAR - 76
    REG - 92
    Jeff Elliott, CPA (KS)
    NINJA CPA | NINJA CMA | NINJA CPE | Another71
    Anonymous
    Inactive

FARbehind,

I agree there is a lot to strategy. During my second attempt, I had gotten through F5. I think a lot of the meat of the exam is F1-F5, basic concepts. The other stuff I didn't study was on there but not heavy duty. Then again because I didn't see my testlets getting more difficult, they may have given me the pity questions 🙂

Sometimes I would just look at the answers and ask myself the Sesame Street question: “Which one of these doesn't belong?” The main thing I learned from my last FAR exam was that if I studied harder and retained the concepts, I could definitely pass The Beast. More time needs to be left for the sims, like an hour each. I have to take time to digest what they are asking.

You are so close! When do you paln to retake it? I'm ready to reschedule FAR, just waiting on another NTS. No sense of urgency over there at NASBA.

FARbehind
    Participant

Jeff, appreciate your comment..

Cpawannabe… It seems like your last attempt gave you confidence of new kind and I am glad about that. Now is the time to kill the beast.

I am thinking of retaking it in July (20-21). My kids are going away for two weeks in July so I want to use the time while they are gone and take 2-3 days off from work. Also, if I take it in July I will have the chance to be in wave 1 and maybe know the results before September. lol. It will take me few days to get my payment coupon and then few more for the nts. So I hope they don't run out of space in the testing centers. I hope you can get your favorite date and time at prometrics, I remember this being a problem for you.

I hope I can make a schedule and stick to it this time. I want to put in at least 80 hrs this time. I want to also try new questions from the cpareview for free site. They seem hard and worth looking at.

aud,bec,reg-passed
    far-->75 Done!!!!!
    ethics-100

Anonymous
    Inactive

As for the increasing difficulty of the testlets, apparently it is a fact that this happens but I did not notice or care if mine were getting harder or easier. I couldn't say. Answer the question in front of you as best you can, don't worry if it's easier or harder than the last one. Mine must have been getting more difficult and I must have scored big on the MCs because my simulations were dreadful.

REG 97 FAR 91 BEC july AUD aug

Viewing 15 replies - 1,666 through 1,680 (of 1,694 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.