[BEC] Exam Prep and Score Releases: April/May 2010 - Page 2

• Creator
    Topic
    jeff
    Keymaster

I am taking BEC May 29th. I will start studying once REG is over (tomorrow!). Hope this one isn’t too bad!

AUD - 79
    BEC - 80
    FAR - 76
    REG - 92
    Jeff Elliott, CPA (KS)
    NINJA CPA | NINJA CMA | NINJA CPE | Another71
Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 1,518 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    sleeplessinWI
    Participant

What is in Ch 3 & 5? I am using Kaplan but would be interested in knowing if other people are struggling with the same subjects I am.

REG,BEC,FAR - PASS, AUD 70, retake 4/26/11 85

If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab ours back.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am also retaking BEC on 4/19. I didn't pass it in February, I attempted sitting for 2 exams back to back. That was not a very clever idea. I have to travel 2 hours to the nearest Prometric, so thought I'd put 2 together. Didn't pass BEC or AUD.

Anyway, I originally took with Gleim, and now completely re-studying with Yaeger. Hope to knock this sucker out and then start all over again with Yaeger for AUD, and will be taking the last of May.

I would really just like to get 1 under my belt. If I don't pass soon, I will not be able to afford to keep retaking.

leebird
    Participant

Hey guys. I passed AUD a few days ago and FAR in November. Now it's on to “lighter” material, if you will. To me, and I put in WAY more than Jeff's suggested study time (or his quoted source, that is) this seems like if you had a good handle on FAR it will be easier.

I took 2 years ago with my girlfriend and her dog moving in and bombed with a 53! But times have changed, Gleim got thrown away, and now Mr. Becker is part of my ritual. the material sucks big time, but just keep grinding. I think 2-2.5 months will get me there.

The main reason people fail this is taking it too lightly. Its all MC, but that leaves you open for Zero gimme points on the written communication. I think this will be the most manageable of the 4. Again, if you can work your way back and forth through the math problems you should be fine. What I have noticed is lots of material, but easier to read than some of the FAR and AUD verbage. Don't let the illusion of how much material overwhelm your thought process. It's just another mark on the wall. A notch if you will, to your overall knowledge.

Here's wishing you guys some productive nights with this material……………………………….

Anonymous
    Inactive

hopeful-CPA you are not alone. This is where I am with BEC 3. I'm thinking about skipping it and going to Chapter 4. And then coming back to the material here, and Chapter 5. But you are not alone at all. I don't know if I will ever be able to do these problems 🙁

south0085
    Participant

I don't want to put a hole in someone's balloon, but if you think Chapter 3 is bad, you haven't seen anything yet. Chapter 5 makes chapter 3 look like Kindergarten work. Seriously, I am on Chapter 5 right now and every single question makes me feel like an absolute idiot because I have to look at the answer first and then go back and learn how to do it. On EVERY single question. And there's like 300 questions in Chapter 5. It's really heart-breaking. But I think if we keep plugging away and repeating these MCQ's, the content will begin to stick with us. I'm sure we can pass this one.

hopeful_cpa
    Participant

i dont get why this stuff isnt making any sense when in school i did the same exact stuff and Ace'd the class. I got this exam in exactly 3 weeks and i am praying that is enough time to understand this stuff.

sleeplessinWI: chapter 3 is financial management and chapter 5 is cost managerial accounting

BEC: Done
    REG: Done
    AUD: Done
    FAR: Done

I'M DONE!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hopeful_cpa
    Participant

also, does anybody have a good review sheet they have made for themselves for the formulas?

i am working on one myself and should have something done for chapter 3 (becker) tonight if anybody would like to take a look at it.

I'M DONE!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

promethius
    Participant

First time I took the test, I studied Becker 2008 and got a 68, the next time I did 3/4 Becker book and 1/4 Becker flash cards and got a 74. I foolishly felt so confident that I studied just the flash cards and got near full mastery of every card/concept and again got a 74. I'm taking a new approach to this. I just got the following materials:

1) Wiley Focus Notes (sold by Yaeger):: Great supplements to the cards I have mastered – often going a little further in detail. I like these because they are large, spiral-bound flipcards with room for notes and they were cheap.

2) the Wiley 2010 book: I'm going to study my two weakest sections from this book – Financial Mgt and IT

3) Yaeger CRAM – Doing this next weekend to identify my weak spots.

4) Becker final review (already had this but didnt get all the way through it before last test)

My study plan is rereview all cards with my fiance in morning (30 min per day = all cards 2-3 times to regain full mastery). Evenings I will study the Wiley book for 1.5 hrs/night targeting my two problem areas and then 30 mins/night reviewing focus notes and the next days cards. Next weekend I'll do the CRAM and repeat the cards/focus notes/wiley book for 1.5 more weeks. Then I'll do Wiley practice tests and finally 1 week before test, do the Becker final review and polish it off with a practice test – going back and seeing where I made my mistakes. Keep in mind, I have taken this test 3 times already so I am pretty comfortable on my now outdated Becker info and the flashcards but need greater depth in IT/Fin. Mgmt. to lock this down. If all this works I'll be a CPA come April 30. If not – I have BEC and AUD to retake – blah!

Hope this helps anyone in the same boat.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi all, I'm back to the BEC books for the 3rd time, I just started last night, at least I am not alone in this boat and I am more than confident that we all can make it this round.

thanks to all the members of this forum for their support.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Does anyone else find the material boring? I was doing BEC 3 and had to put it down for a bit, because I just got bored w/it. This is Becker by the way. I wish there was some way to liven it up.

south0085
    Participant

I get bored (especially on ch 3 and 5), because every questions is such a mountain for me to answer. It wears my brain out. On AUD, the questions were more theory, and I was able to get through a large number of them at one time. On BEC, many of the MCQ's require extensive calculations. I do good to remember how to calculate the first step, much less move on to the next question.

hopeful_cpa
    Participant

not only working the first step is ok, there is nowhere in the material where it even helps how to solve the problem. this is getting very frustrating.

kmath007
    Participant

Ok, I just took the exam, the wait begins!!!

makeithappen
    Participant

Took BEC today. Becker prepared me perfectly. The MCs were not as challenging as the Becker questions. If you do the Becker MCs 2-3 times and score consistently in the 80s you will do fine. The practice tests are a great indicator of your readiness. Good Luck. The long wait now begins….. On to Reg.

AUD 98 | FAR 90 | BEC 88 | REG 94 (5/27/10) AICPA Tea Party Member

hopeful_cpa
    Participant

makeithappen: that is great news!! i feel a little more relieved now… i am doing pretty well on ch 1,2, and 4, but 3 and 5 are being a challenge. any pointers?

also, becker totally prepared me for REG, good luck with that, you will do fine if you use the becker stuff.

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 1,518 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.