AUD Study Group Q1 2015 - Page 3

Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 1,162 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I really suck at these assertion questions. What is my problem? Why is C wrong?

To support financial statement assertions, an auditor develops specific audit objectives. The auditor then designs substantive tests to satisfy or accomplish each objective. Which of the following audit procedures would primarily respond to the audit objective for accounts receivable that accounts receivable are properly described and presented in the financial statements?

A. Analyze the relationship of accounts receivable and sales and compare it with relationships for preceding periods.

B. Review the aged trial balance for significant past due accounts.

C. Review loan agreements for indications of whether accounts receivable have been factored or pledged.

D. Review the accounts receivable trial balance for amounts due from officers and employees.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Or this one. How is B wrong? It asks if “any transfers between categories of investments have been properly recorded”, what does it have to do with valuation?

An auditor scans a client's investment records for the period just before and just after the year-end to determine that any transfers between categories of investments have been properly recorded. The primary purpose of this procedure is to obtain evidence about management's financial statement assertion of:

A. rights and obligations.

B. classification and understandability.

C. existence.

correct D. valuation and allocation.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Here, why is B wrong? Why??

Which of the following procedures most likely would assist an auditor in determining whether management has identified all accounting estimates that could be material to the financial statements?

A. Inquire about the existence of related party transactions.

Incorrect B.Determine whether accounting estimates deviate from historical patterns.

C. Confirm inventories at locations outside the entity.

D. Review the lawyer's letter for information about litigation.

salring
    Participant

Joining this group to take test Jan 2015, those who have taken auditing before what is your studying strategy?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi all, have lurked for awhile, but this is my first post.

Taking Audit (LAST EXAM!) on 1/2/15 and I am having a hard time getting all the concepts down because I have never worked in Auditing (work in SEC Reporting at Fortune 500 co.) and I can't really apply any ‘real-world' situations or experience to the material. So, my question is:

Can anyone give me some real-life examples/explanations of the below concepts (specifically why inverse/direct relationship)? It is taking me FOREVER to think through them as I work through problems so I need a more clearer, easier to understand explanation. This is in Becker A5, Attribute Sampling. These are the factors that affect sample size.

Risk of assessing control risk too low – inverse relationship

Tolerable deviation rate – inverse relationship

Expected deviation rate – direct relationship

Thanks!

WANNABE_CPA

hey everyone, all who have just started audit for the first time for this exam, how are you feeling?

I feel lost when i start mcqs, they are kinda tricky with all specific words and sentences need to look out for, i miss something and then i am like what, this doesn't make sense, and i go back to the book and see exact same thing written, are we suppose to memorize the whole book word to word.

@Taxlady…did you start yet? I am going to be done with Audit report Lectures, going to try get through one chunk of mcqs of A1(Audit reports). Lets get the party started.

FAR : 68, 74, 83 Thank you God 🙂
    BEC : 78 (8/27) 🙂
    REG : 72 ,80 (2/25) 🙂
    AUD : 69,67, 07/23

salring
    Participant

Am starting Audit for the first time and it's very different from what I expected. Am just going through the MQ's and taking notes since everything is new to me.

Tax lady
    Participant

@wannabe…I started but haven't gotten far at all! 🙁 This week has been crazy at work and home. Hopefully I can get caught up this weekend. Do you use Becker?

AUD - 80
    BEC - 75
    FAR - 85
    REG - 82

REG 8/15/14 (73); 11/13/14 (82)-expired 🙁
    AUD 5/30/15 (80)
    BEC 11/28/15 (75)
    FAR 7/30/16

Studying with CPAexcel and Ninja notes/MCQ's/Flashcards

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey everyone,

I am taking the Audit exam January 3rd and will be starting to study next Monday.

My schedule now is to do Chapters 1-3 next week with 4-6 the following week, leaving me around two weeks to review.

Are the chapters manageable to get through when compared to FAR lets say? I just finished up BEC and I feel like I could easily do 3 chapters but FAR chapters took my a bit longer.

Thank you!

rachel525

@agile I think you'll be fine! Are you using the 2014 audit materials?

WANNABE_CPA

@taxlady , yes i am using becker. I was trying to go as the becker calender says, but i am lagging behind. These mcqs are weird.

FAR : 68, 74, 83 Thank you God 🙂
    BEC : 78 (8/27) 🙂
    REG : 72 ,80 (2/25) 🙂
    AUD : 69,67, 07/23

Anonymous
    Inactive

@rachel525 yeah – I haven't updated to the 2015. I called Becker and they said I'll be fine. Is that true?

mtwst113

@djharmon

Risk of assessing control risk too low (RACRTL) – Lets say the RACRTL decreases from 5% to 1%. Lets focus on what actually caused the decrease of the RACRTL. Basically, the auditor is justified in lowering the RACRTL when good ol' fashioned control risk (CR) increases. So, since you raised control risk, it makes sense to lower the RACRTL. Now…how does this relate to sample size? Well, stay focused on the fact that CR increased. Because CR increased, we now have to lower our DR to achieve the same level of audit risk overall. The only way we can lower DR (now that we've determined that controls aren't really to be trusted) is to increase substantive testing, meaning a larger sample size, hence the inverse relationship.

Tolerable deviation rate (inverse) – I found an awesome analogy for this from another thread. Think of it in terms of pain. The more pain (deviations) you can tolerate, the less medicine (samples) you will need.

Expected deviation rate (direct) – Try to keep it simple. If you expect that the population has a large number of deviations, you should pick a large sample. It wouldn't make sense for this to be an inverse relationship.

BEC | √
    AUD| √
    FAR| Spring 2015

spinfuzer
    Participant

Risk of Assess Control Risk Too Low –> It is your risk that the sample you test is going to have less errors than the total population really has. It is not necessarily because control risk increases.

Basically, think of a company hiring someone based on the interview. This person has a solid resume and nails the interview. You really like this person based on the information you have, and you think this person is a low risk hire, so you decide you do not need to do a complete background check [do less testing]. This is like you saying control risk is low.

However, in reality, this person lied about their resume and can act really well on interviews. A complete background check would have revealed this person was lying and this person is no good. You did not do a complete background check because you thought this person was low risk when this person was actually a high risk hire. You didn't do as much background testing on this person because you Assessed Control Risk too Low.

When you assess control risk too low, you SHOULD HAVE tested more (sample size greater), but you DID NOT.

RACRTL is not necessarily because of a greater control risk. If control risk raises, but you raise your assessment of control risk does as well, then it is OK. For example, if you think someone is a risky hire and in reality the person is a risky hire, then your assessment is CORRECT (not too low or too high). If your assessment is correct, you did the appropriate amount of testing for the amount of risk that is present.

TLDR:

You assess CR as 5%, but in reality it is really 20% –> You assessed risk too low. Your sample should be larger but it isn't because you *think* it is low risk, but you are wrong about it being low risk.

You assess CR as 50%, but in reality it is really 50% –> you are right, your sample is the right size.

FAR - 08/08/14 - 93
    BEC - 08/28/14 - 95
    REG - 10/11/14 - 96
    AUD - 11/30/14 - 99

just got my audit score 72!!!!

BEC Passed
    FAR Passed
    AUD Passed
    REG Passed

Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 1,162 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.