My son has 21 hours remaining in his Accounting Major and a 3.75 GPA - Page 4

• Creator
    Topic
    redlegger

I am trying to give my son some advice since I encouraged his accounting major. He was a 4.0 HS student and has worked his way throughout college at a law firm . He has a full tuition and some additional scholarships which will cover final two semesters his Sr. year. He was a very competitive HS Golfer and could have played in college. He is also in a national fraternity and has held some offices. I tell you all this to show he is a fairly well-rounded kid. What does he need to do to attract a Big 4 and when should that start ? The accounting program at his college is highly regarded but he attends a state university that has no national clout. His options are get his 150 hours and sit for his CPA in which case he might only need an extra semester or get in the graduate program and get a Masters in Accounting and get his extra hours that way at an additonal cost. Or graduate next spring debt free and go from there and get the CPA later.

Viewing 11 replies - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    mla1169
    Participant

regarding the CFO question, it depends on where he would want to be a CFO. Best advice is to become an expert in an industry on top of having the accounting credentials. For example I have tons of experience working for defense manufacturers. Makes me uniquely more qualified for a CFO position in that industry than someone with 20 years public experience who doesn't know how to read and interpret federal acquisition regulations. If getting that niche experience means starting out as a staff accountant in an industry that excites him, he will rise through the ranks quickly with his other credentials.

FAR- 77
    AUD -49, 71, 84
    REG -56,75!
    BEC -75

Massachusetts CPA (non reporting) since 3/12.

greenfish

Alright so I rarely ever post, but I needed to respond to one person directly and a few others about fraternity comments. Then I will respond to OP.

@CPAin14 Fraternities are what you make of them and for the most part they can be very helpful. Especially for an intelligent, well-rounded person that is discussed in the OP. I was involved with my fraternity at a LARGE state university and I think it definitely paid off. For my first internship at a regional firm, my first interview happened to be with someone who was in the same fraternity when he was in college. You never know when fraternities will give you a connection. Not saying that was why I got the internship, but it was a nice discussion and common point. The next summer I was able to interview for Big 4 internships… I went 3 for 3 and the fraternity was a large talking point during every single interview. The fraternity gave me a lot of the experiences that helped me better answer questions in interviews. They also always asked about the things I did with it. Again, if all you did and know how to talk about is the parties then that won't go well. However, someone like the OP clearly will most likely take more out of it.

@redlegger (OP) … IF IF IF this is actually what he wants to do, he needs to begin to make contact with the various Big 4 firms in the city he would like to work in. Also, they will want him to have a plan about when he will be getting 150 credits to get his CPA. That will be one of their first questions. Get 150 credits and the CPA as soon as possible. In my case, I interviewed for Big 4 internships Fall of my Senior year. After accepting one of them, I interned the summer after my Senior year and that led to a full time offer which it normally will. I then went to grad school to get my Masters of Accounting/finish 150 credits. During this time I sat for 3 parts of the CPA exam and studying for the 4th now (Passed 2, waiting for 1 score). I am have just finished grad school this month and will start working full time for Big 4 in a couple of months.

If I had to go back again, I would have smashed 150 credits into 4 years, but the Masters wasn't all that bad. It allowed me to study for the CPA (I think most states let you sit after Bachelor's Degree). In your son's case, it seems like he doesn't have much contact with the firms so an extra year to get an internship and make these connections may be necessary.

Hope that helped

greenfish

Alright so I rarely ever post, but I needed to respond to one person directly and a few others about fraternity comments. Then I will respond to OP.

@CPAin14 Fraternities are what you make of them and for the most part they can be very helpful. Especially for an intelligent, well-rounded person that is discussed in the OP. I was involved with my fraternity at a LARGE state university and I think it definitely paid off. For my first internship at a regional firm, my first interview happened to be with someone who was in the same fraternity when he was in college. You never know when fraternities will give you a connection. Not saying that was why I got the internship, but it was a nice discussion and common point. The next summer I was able to interview for Big 4 internships… I went 3 for 3 and the fraternity was a large talking point during every single interview. The fraternity gave me a lot of the experiences that helped me better answer questions in interviews. They also always asked about the things I did with it. Again, if all you did and know how to talk about is the parties then that won't go well. However, someone like the OP clearly will most likely take more out of it.

@redlegger (OP) … IF IF IF this is actually what he wants to do, he needs to begin to make contact with the various Big 4 firms in the city he would like to work in. Also, they will want him to have a plan about when he will be getting 150 credits to get his CPA. That will be one of their first questions. Get 150 credits and the CPA as soon as possible. In my case, I interviewed for Big 4 internships Fall of my Senior year. After accepting one of them, I interned the summer after my Senior year and that led to a full time offer which it normally will. I then went to grad school to get my Masters of Accounting/finish 150 credits. During this time I sat for 3 parts of the CPA exam and studying for the 4th now (Passed 2, waiting for 1 score). I am have just finished grad school this month and will start working full time for Big 4 in a couple of months.

If I had to go back again, I would have smashed 150 credits into 4 years, but the Masters wasn't all that bad. It allowed me to study for the CPA (I think most states let you sit after Bachelor's Degree). In your son's case, it seems like he doesn't have much contact with the firms so an extra year to get an internship and make these connections may be necessary.

Hope that helped

Mayo
    Participant

@greenfish. Totally agree on the frat part. It is what you make it.

Mayo, BBA, Macc

Mayo
    Participant

@greenfish. Totally agree on the frat part. It is what you make it.

Mayo, BBA, Macc

carpeCPA

The best piece of advice I got when recruiting for a Big 4 (I'm currently work for one now) is to treat the recruiters like people. Be talkative; it doesn't all have to be about accounting. They are basically looking to see if you would be someone they would not mind working until midnight with.

REG - 93 (Jul'13)
    FAR - 97 (Dec '13)
    AUD - 99 (May '14)
    BEC - Jul '14

Becker Self Study/Ninja Notes/Ninja Audio/Ninja MCQ/Wiley Test Bank/Wiley Book

carpeCPA

The best piece of advice I got when recruiting for a Big 4 (I'm currently work for one now) is to treat the recruiters like people. Be talkative; it doesn't all have to be about accounting. They are basically looking to see if you would be someone they would not mind working until midnight with.

REG - 93 (Jul'13)
    FAR - 97 (Dec '13)
    AUD - 99 (May '14)
    BEC - Jul '14

Becker Self Study/Ninja Notes/Ninja Audio/Ninja MCQ/Wiley Test Bank/Wiley Book

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have a masters in accounting and 2 parts done of the CPA exam with a year tille any expire and almost ready for my third part. With that said the CPA route was not the route for me I only passed parts to get into tax analyst. I could never work in public accounting; I am trying to get out of my tax auditing job (which by the way is hardly a job the works so light it's laughable and I work 4 – 10 hour days every week; granted 99% of people don't know enough about taxes to do it but still.) I want to be a computer programmer. With that said I make more money than most people and most accoutants, education is just a thing it's mainly your work eithic that matters. Before I was a tax analyst I made a decent salary as a security guard, I prolly would have stayed there as oppose to go into public accounting.

Sure I'm not a CPA but if you put me up against a tax partner at a Big 4 I know more about multijurisdiction taxation than they will. If I wasn't working for the state I'd prolly have become a CIA for a company and make just as much as the average CPA doing less work. Average CIA makes about 2k less than the average CPA and the test is easy and you only need 120 credits.

With that said I am not trying to brag this is just my choice and my mentality and it worked well. Some people are too ambitious to sit in an office 40 hours a week for a good salary but close to no chance for promotion and any outside work I do for money will get me fired. The CIA will also pay as much as public accounting but you don't have as much job growth potential and it has nothing to do with taxes(which is what I do as an accountant I never once did an actual audit). If he doesn't want to be a CPA then let him do something else he will do fine I guarantee it. Some people love public accounting some don't.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have a masters in accounting and 2 parts done of the CPA exam with a year tille any expire and almost ready for my third part. With that said the CPA route was not the route for me I only passed parts to get into tax analyst. I could never work in public accounting; I am trying to get out of my tax auditing job (which by the way is hardly a job the works so light it's laughable and I work 4 – 10 hour days every week; granted 99% of people don't know enough about taxes to do it but still.) I want to be a computer programmer. With that said I make more money than most people and most accoutants, education is just a thing it's mainly your work eithic that matters. Before I was a tax analyst I made a decent salary as a security guard, I prolly would have stayed there as oppose to go into public accounting.

Sure I'm not a CPA but if you put me up against a tax partner at a Big 4 I know more about multijurisdiction taxation than they will. If I wasn't working for the state I'd prolly have become a CIA for a company and make just as much as the average CPA doing less work. Average CIA makes about 2k less than the average CPA and the test is easy and you only need 120 credits.

With that said I am not trying to brag this is just my choice and my mentality and it worked well. Some people are too ambitious to sit in an office 40 hours a week for a good salary but close to no chance for promotion and any outside work I do for money will get me fired. The CIA will also pay as much as public accounting but you don't have as much job growth potential and it has nothing to do with taxes(which is what I do as an accountant I never once did an actual audit). If he doesn't want to be a CPA then let him do something else he will do fine I guarantee it. Some people love public accounting some don't.

nicole2035

I think it's up to him but as a recent graduate, i'd suggest he go ahead and get his 150. As in do an extra semester of school (this is what i did, and i took summer community college courses that i transferred to my university before graduating August 2013). Or he should go ahead and think about a Master's in accounting and have that lined up immediately after graduation.

I think the best advice anyone can give regarding the CPA is that no matter what you GPA, scholarships, past high school achievements, life definitely happens. Things happen, and it can throw everything off course, so i think it's best to cement whatever you can immediately. If has 150 credits he won't have to worry later if he's working at a firm, or about to get married on taking 12+ semester hours.

nicole2035

I think it's up to him but as a recent graduate, i'd suggest he go ahead and get his 150. As in do an extra semester of school (this is what i did, and i took summer community college courses that i transferred to my university before graduating August 2013). Or he should go ahead and think about a Master's in accounting and have that lined up immediately after graduation.

I think the best advice anyone can give regarding the CPA is that no matter what you GPA, scholarships, past high school achievements, life definitely happens. Things happen, and it can throw everything off course, so i think it's best to cement whatever you can immediately. If has 150 credits he won't have to worry later if he's working at a firm, or about to get married on taking 12+ semester hours.

Viewing 11 replies - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.