My son has 21 hours remaining in his Accounting Major and a 3.75 GPA

• Creator
    Topic
    redlegger

I am trying to give my son some advice since I encouraged his accounting major. He was a 4.0 HS student and has worked his way throughout college at a law firm . He has a full tuition and some additional scholarships which will cover final two semesters his Sr. year. He was a very competitive HS Golfer and could have played in college. He is also in a national fraternity and has held some offices. I tell you all this to show he is a fairly well-rounded kid. What does he need to do to attract a Big 4 and when should that start ? The accounting program at his college is highly regarded but he attends a state university that has no national clout. His options are get his 150 hours and sit for his CPA in which case he might only need an extra semester or get in the graduate program and get a Masters in Accounting and get his extra hours that way at an additonal cost. Or graduate next spring debt free and go from there and get the CPA later.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    tomq04
    Participant

I would suspect he doesn't need a high level manager trying to plan his life

REG- (1) 76
    FAR- (2) 64, (5)74, (7)83 (Over achiever!)
    AUD- (3) 70, (4) 75
    BEC- (6) 75

tomq04
    Participant

I would suspect he doesn't need a high level manager trying to plan his life

REG- (1) 76
    FAR- (2) 64, (5)74, (7)83 (Over achiever!)
    AUD- (3) 70, (4) 75
    BEC- (6) 75

lalap
    Participant

Does your son even want to work for Big 4? Maybe he would rather have 9 – 5 job in non-accounting field.

Passed

lalap
    Participant

Does your son even want to work for Big 4? Maybe he would rather have 9 – 5 job in non-accounting field.

Passed

Participant

He sounds like he's on point so I'd suggest getting the 150 (whether Masters or whatever) and sitting for the CPA now. From what you described, he should have no problem.

I understand the concern you have for your son and wanting him to do well, but be certain this is what HE wants to do. Big4 hours can be rough.

Good luck.

BEC - ✔
    REG - ✔
    AUD - ✔
    FAR - 11/29/14

CPAExcel, Ninja MCQs, and a sh*t ton of coffee

Participant

He sounds like he's on point so I'd suggest getting the 150 (whether Masters or whatever) and sitting for the CPA now. From what you described, he should have no problem.

I understand the concern you have for your son and wanting him to do well, but be certain this is what HE wants to do. Big4 hours can be rough.

Good luck.

BEC - ✔
    REG - ✔
    AUD - ✔
    FAR - 11/29/14

CPAExcel, Ninja MCQs, and a sh*t ton of coffee

Anonymous
    Inactive

Honestly, you should probably let him figure all of that out on his own. He's definitely smart enough.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Honestly, you should probably let him figure all of that out on his own. He's definitely smart enough.

GoVPI
    Participant

He should be the one typing this asking for advice.. He needs to figure out what he wants to do, after all he is 21 hours away from his accounting degree, its time to leave the nest here and make decisions on his own. Great for him he can come out debt free and with a 3.75 GPA but if he can't stand on his own two feet and make a life choice then why would a firm want him to make an opinion on anything? Not to burst his bubble but “national fraternity” isn't as great as the people in the fraternity make it seem. Honestly, your professor does not care what “letters” you wear or who you choose to party with on the weekends.I go to a state university and I've never heard a single professor/admin/job recruiter ever say a word about that. I am finishing my bachelors in accounting in 3 weeks, I will have debt but I also chose accounting because I have a passion for it and I know it can get me from where I am to where I want to be, not because my parents chose for me.

If he has a 3.75 and has passion for accounting he should be able to pass the CPA exam, but if he isn't interested or eager for it, don't waste the money. Sorry if it sounded harsh, but he needs to be able to figure this out himself.

BEC - Passed

AUD - 74 🙁

REG - TBD

FAR - TBD

BEC 8/14/14 - Passed
    Graduated from college 12/13/14
    AUD 8/31/15 - 74. Retake - Passed
    REG
    FAR

GoVPI
    Participant

He should be the one typing this asking for advice.. He needs to figure out what he wants to do, after all he is 21 hours away from his accounting degree, its time to leave the nest here and make decisions on his own. Great for him he can come out debt free and with a 3.75 GPA but if he can't stand on his own two feet and make a life choice then why would a firm want him to make an opinion on anything? Not to burst his bubble but “national fraternity” isn't as great as the people in the fraternity make it seem. Honestly, your professor does not care what “letters” you wear or who you choose to party with on the weekends.I go to a state university and I've never heard a single professor/admin/job recruiter ever say a word about that. I am finishing my bachelors in accounting in 3 weeks, I will have debt but I also chose accounting because I have a passion for it and I know it can get me from where I am to where I want to be, not because my parents chose for me.

If he has a 3.75 and has passion for accounting he should be able to pass the CPA exam, but if he isn't interested or eager for it, don't waste the money. Sorry if it sounded harsh, but he needs to be able to figure this out himself.

BEC - Passed

AUD - 74 🙁

REG - TBD

FAR - TBD

BEC 8/14/14 - Passed
    REG
    FAR

Groud
    Participant

Yeesh people all the OP said was that they were looking to gather information to hopefully be able to give some advice regarding the kid's Big 4 chances.

Better than a parent that takes ABSOLUTELY ZERO INTEREST in their kid's life.

@redlegger: sounds like he has a decent chance to get in to Big4 without the Masters. Just needs to network at their events. I would totally forgo the masters program, try to get the best job, and start working on my CPA at that point. If I really wanted a Masters, which I do, I would go the MBA route after I had 4 years at Big4 and a CPA.

✓ AUD: (85) Apr2014 ~~ (87) Apr2016
    ✓ FAR: (74) Aug2015 ~~ (74) Oct2015 ~~ (79) Jun2016
    ✓ BEC: (77) Apr2015
    REG: ___

Groud
    Participant

Yeesh people all the OP said was that they were looking to gather information to hopefully be able to give some advice regarding the kid's Big 4 chances.

Better than a parent that takes ABSOLUTELY ZERO INTEREST in their kid's life.

@redlegger: sounds like he has a decent chance to get in to Big4 without the Masters. Just needs to network at their events. I would totally forgo the masters program, try to get the best job, and start working on my CPA at that point. If I really wanted a Masters, which I do, I would go the MBA route after I had 4 years at Big4 and a CPA.

✓ AUD: (85) Apr2014 ~~ (87) Apr2016
    ✓ FAR: (74) Aug2015 ~~ (74) Oct2015 ~~ (79) Jun2016
    ✓ BEC: (77) Apr2015
    REG: ___

Anonymous
    Inactive

@CPAin14 Don't be ignorant. There are a lot of great leadership opportunities that fraternities and sororities allow their members to pursue. President, VP, Treasurer, Philanthropy Chair, Recruitment Chair are all examples of positions with transferable skills to any business environment. I interned at a big 4 last summer (which i'll be working full-time at soon) and a majority of the interns in my line of service were in greek life at their respective schools. The main recruiter literally told me that when she recognizes an attractive candidate's resume (3.5 gpa, extracurriculars, leadership) and he/she happens to be in greek life, she is increasingly confident that they'll excel in the interview process due to above average social skills. I'm not trying to say that people in greek life are better or anything like that!! I am absolutely aware that there are plenty of douchebags in greek life. I just felt the need to make a point because I know for sure I wouldn't be where I am today without the personal development I achieved throughout my time in a fraternal organization.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@CPAin14 Don't be ignorant. There are a lot of great leadership opportunities that fraternities and sororities allow their members to pursue. President, VP, Treasurer, Philanthropy Chair, Recruitment Chair are all examples of positions with transferable skills to any business environment. I interned at a big 4 last summer (which i'll be working full-time at soon) and a majority of the interns in my line of service were in greek life at their respective schools. The main recruiter literally told me that when she recognizes an attractive candidate's resume (3.5 gpa, extracurriculars, leadership) and he/she happens to be in greek life, she is increasingly confident that they'll excel in the interview process due to above average social skills. I'm not trying to say that people in greek life are better or anything like that!! I am absolutely aware that there are plenty of douchebags in greek life. I just felt the need to make a point because I know for sure I wouldn't be where I am today without the personal development I achieved throughout my time in a fraternal organization.

GoVPI
    Participant

Well I guess everyone has their own opinion, your opinion from someone who was in a frat and I'm not in one. I've been told both sides, it can help if your hiring manager has experience or knowledge with greek life and what it consists of other than the partying. All of my professor have told us unless you are one of the top members– Pres, Treasurer, VP, then leave it off the resume. It can be looked upon positively (if they were in that frat or sorority or was a brother or sister) and negatively depending on the hiring manager/company. Now, a professional business like Beta Gamma Sigma is completely different than say a frat/soro I'm thinking of.. Kappa Delta or Phi mu (I'm a girl so idk guy ones) and if he is part of that then my apologies but i was guessing he was in one of the other kinds.

BEC - Passed

AUD - 74 🙁

REG - TBD

FAR - TBD

BEC 8/14/14 - Passed
    REG
    FAR

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.