Completing 150 Credit Hours-Public Accounting

• Creator
    Topic
    Pete
    Participant

Hello,

So I’ve managed to pass both the CPA and the CFE examinations. In addition, I’ve just completed the 150 credit hour requirement with a 3.8 GPA from a community college. I had a bachelor’s degree from 2010, but most firms wouldn’t consider me as I had 120 credit hours.

Unfortunately, I’ve just determined my state requires 2 years experience for my license. I’ve done the equivalent of 7 months so far in the past (had a 6 month gig at 1 firm, then recently did an accounting internship at another firm this year). The firm I interned at did a background check and told me I performed well, but I didn’t receive an offer (possibly because I didn’t have 150 credit hours at the time).

I have contacts at multiple firms, but they mostly will only hire from their intern pool, which makes my situation difficult. How can I break into these firms, when I can’t use campus recruiting from the community college (they aren’t a feeder school to any of the firms around here), and the larger firms will view it negatively, if i use campus recruiting from a school I graduated at 6 years ago. One firm I was considering is hiring interns, who would start full-time in August 2017.

It seems all the exams I’ve passed and the high GPA is worthless, without experience. How can I gain said experience? I’ve been at a small company for 5 years now as an accountant, but I just can’t seem to get another job; this position wouldn’t fulfill the experience requirements in my state, so I’m looking to get into public accounting. Should I just apply to a two tiered state instead like Massachusetts for a non-reporting license?

B=84 This exam was such a b**** that I thought I failed-don't know how these things work
    A=76 Slacker I am, I'll happily take it
    R=81 I LOVE taxes
    F=80 I don't wanna get banned for an expletive I'm thinking with "yea" proceeding it

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Missy
    Participant

regarding MA, do you have a masters degree? If so, then I'd definitely consider the non reporting license. You can't get the non reporting license without a masters (unless they deem you have experience substantially equivalent to 2 years attest, and even after 20 years in industry accounting I still had to have a masters to get the non reporting license).

Old timer,  A71'er since 2010.

Finance manager/HR manager

Licensed Massachusetts Non Reporting CPA since 2012
    Finance/Admin/HR Manager

Missy
    Participant

But regarding the job search, hang in there. I got out over 300 resumes, had nearly 40 interviews to end up with 4 viable offers and the job I'm at now. Its not easy, I know.

Finance/Admin/HR Manager

Pete
    Participant

Unfortunately, I made a massive mistake by not spending the 40k to get a MBA 6 years ago, just didn't think it was worth the investment (HUGE MISTAKE). I recently completed the 150 credit hours through community college. If I had known it was going to be as much of a headache as it was, I would have taken out an additional 40k, on top of the 160k, which I spent on my undergraduate degree and relied on campus recruiting.

I'm tempted to go to my school's career fair in the fall, attempting to gain interviews at the BIG 4, despite already graduating. I do have lifetime career services there; it's just I've found the BIG 4 typically won't view you the same way, after you graduate. I can still apply on my school's site, I just expect them to no longer interview me.

MLA, I actually just had an interview at a firm, up your neck of the woods in Boston the other day. Starting to look outside CT at this point. Maybe I can try to apply for the license in CT while getting the experience in Mass or something along those lines.

B=84 This exam was such a b**** that I thought I failed-don't know how these things work
    A=76 Slacker I am, I'll happily take it
    R=81 I LOVE taxes
    F=80 I don't wanna get banned for an expletive I'm thinking with "yea" proceeding it

Missy
    Participant

Well you know I'm a fool for all things Boston so I hope that's the one for you.

But regarding all that about firms preferring 150 credits and interns and current students it's true but that doesn't mean they won't also hire someone who's been out of school a bit. I've seen folks like me who are much older get hired at big 4. It's a bit rare but hey if you don't see yourself as the exception to the rule nobody else will either!

Finance/Admin/HR Manager

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.