72 3 times on Audit… got any advice? - Page 2

• Creator
    Topic

I found out I got 72 for the 3rd time! I’m quite frustrated but I will get over it. I’m just not too sure how to approach for the next exam at this point. I really do need to pass on the next window; otherwise, “FAR expires” in Q1 2016. I’m contemplating getting Becker question banks… below ignore the 1st 100 hours i spent prior to the 1st 72.

1st 72 (spent 86 hours): listened through all Yaeger lectures, solved most problems on Wiley MCQ.

2nd 72 (spent 50 hours)

Strategy: to get over the hump so listened to Yaeger cram

-solved 1000 Ninja MCQ

Took a quarter off, moved onto Reg and passed it

3rd 72 (spent 140 hours)

Strategy: start fresh and lock down on concepts while focusing on SIMs

-listened through all Yaeger lectures

-resolved Wiley questions I was having trouble

-reset and solved 1000 Ninja MCQ, solved all Ninja SIMs at least once

-read and and studied Wiley text

-read through many AU-C, AR, PCAOB standards as I was solving problems.

I’m just seeking an honest advice how to approach for the next sit in. I’m thinking about getting Becker question sets. Do you think Becker questions might prepare you better than Ninja MCQs? Any other study advice would be grateful.

If I can do it, you can do it too!

Certified CPA, 2016

Licensed CPA since Apr 16
    Order in sequence of passing
    FAR-71,71,79
    BEC-80
    REG-72,77
    AUD-56,72,72,72,80! Thank you, thank you, thank you Lord!
    FAR/BEC/AUD: Becker & Yaeger lectures (Wiley & Ninja MCQs). REG: Becker lectures (Ninja MCQs).

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    fuyuki

@hokinizeu we are both in same boat. failed audit multiple times and is the only one left. hang in there, we will get through it

Anonymous
    Inactive

hokinizeu,

first and foremost, you are smart and you can aand you will pass this test.

there is plenty of time with audit, i suggest you do the each testlet, then look over each and every question before going onto the next testlet…the wording can be tricky on those audit questions so maybe you are rushing?

also for the sims, you should be able to use the authoritative literature for most of it…so there are some sample reports in the AL…think they are called figures…dont remember exactly but it might help you…also if there is a word you dont see often (in the sim) …for example, say the sim says hokinizeu….type “hokinizeu” in the AL and it might shoot you to exactly where the answer is

hope this helps…

bump

monikernc
    Participant

hokinizeu – we have to hang in. i will help you with aud and you will help me with bec!!! take your break and get back to it!

AUD - 93
    BEC - 82
    FAR - 76
    REG - 88
    How have you been?
    Ninja book and MCQs and the forum, all first try! 2016
    Licensed State of Montana April Fool’s Day 2020
    State of Colorado June 2020 - AICPA Ethics 93
    Experience was the worst part of the journey for me. You?
    If you want things to change you have to do something different.

FAR 7/25/15 76!
    AUD 10/30/15 93
    BEC 2/27/16 82
    REG 5/23/16 88!
    Ninja Book and MCQ and the forum - all the way!!!
    and a little thing i like to call, time and effort!
    if you want things to change, you have to do something different

MOAC
    Participant

I posted this in another thread, I think this is relevant here as well.

In aud I believe you need to go over the lecture/text at least twice. Unless the whole process from beginning to end makes sense in your mind you won't be able to answer the question or understand what and why are they asking that.Auditing is like the waterfall process. One topic leads to other and if you understand first you would find it much easier to understand the second and so on.

I used becker and this is what I did

lecture 1 and lecture two which were about Audit reports and other report. I found them relatively very easy to understand. I was coming off FAR and this lecture looked very easy and interesting.
    Lecture 3 related to Engagement, planning and risk assessment. Started losing the plot. Didn't understand most of the concept.
    Lecture 4. Audit Evidence. Had no clue what was happening. How to know which assertions to use. What's the difference between planning stage and substantive procedures. What's the difference between initial assessment of internal controls and testing of controls and when is what done.
    Lecture 5. Didn't get a single thing related to statistical Sampling.
    Lecture 6 was easy. Too many info but easier to remember.

What I do is, mostly I listen to Becker lectures and do the questions. Do one subtopic at a time. I noted since Becker skips quite a few lines and highlights only important stuff, I wasn't able to grasp the knowledge fully. So I started reading the topic immediately after listening to lecture. If I listened the lecture only I scored around 50% in Mcqs. But after listening and then reading I scored around 70%. After reading the lecture and doing all the questions I was in a better shape but still I was no where to passing it. I remember telling my wife, it's harder than FAR. And she replied, “but you said FAR is the hardest?” (with a confused smile lol)

Then I started to review it.
    I started reading the lectures again. Again one subtopic at a time and went over the questions which were incorrect. Now every topic made much more sense. And since I had read the whole step from A to Z and even though I didn't grasp the process fully, to my surprise I had grasped enough understanding to build on it while reading second time. Questions made much more sense. My thought process started to change and I could understand at what what stage of audit process they're and what they would want for me. I didn't get all the questions right of course but I knew what they would be asking me.
    After reading ltext, redoing all simulations and all the incorrect answers I started doing progress tests. I did 2 90 multiple choice progress tests. Then I took Becker's review test and scored around 72 in MCQs. Simulations were too easy. By then I knew where I needed to concentrate more.
    So I started reading lectures again. I skimmed the topics which I knew I had grasped the concepts fully and read again where I though I lacked. Everything made much much more sense. I can stress enough on this. After reading a lecture I would do 50 MCQs of that lecture and move. I did this with all six lectures. Sometimes I would do only 30 mcqs. Then I went over newly released AICPA. (you get 2-3 qns similar tot hem in the cpa exam). I ran out of time for the second final review test. I studied all that in less than two months.
    Scored 85 in the exam and that was my first try. Exam was harder than Becker's questions but I think I did well due to having good concepts.
    There are three reason to pass IMO.
    a)Never panic, Never! Never while studying on in the exam.
    2)Go over whole material which you're using. No one knows what examiner would ask.
    3)Reading is as much important as working on questions. You need a mixture of both.

Good luck!

Quite a big post this is.

FAR May 2012 81 (lost credit, didn't sit for other sections.)
    FAR 86 Aug 2015
    AUD 85 Nov 2015
    BEC 84 Dec 2015
    REG 78 Mar 2016

Passed ALL sections in first attempt!!

Martin
    Participant

MOAC, do you have a similar explanation,but for BEC?

Through God all things can happen!

“You never fail until you stop trying.”
    ― Albert Einstein
    When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people;as I grow older, I admire kind people.
    “Just keep swimming, just keep swimming.”

FAR= 72-84
    Audit= 73-82
    BEC= 74-75
    Reg=77

again, thank you moniker, MOAC and rest of you. still little upset but i've been through the disappointments many times in the past. i plan to start studying this weekend. MOAC, completely agree with what you said. that's what i was doing last time. reading the book, highlighting (and even recording some topics i thought were important and re-listening on my way to work).

moniker, as for BEC. i just remember memorizing all the formulas, doing enough Ninja MCQs like 1000 (but knowing you, you will finish all Ninja questions). ^^ given 15% comes from the WC, it seems to be an easier exam than the rest. it is all computer graded so keep you wording very short and to the point.

Certified CPA, 2016

FAR-71,71,79
    BEC-80
    REG-72,77
    FAR/BEC/AUD: Becker & Yaeger lectures (Wiley & Ninja MCQs). REG: Becker lectures (Ninja MCQs).

MOAC
    Participant

@Martin

I sat for Aid on Oct 4th and the went on to sit for BEC on Nov 30th. So I didn't have a lot of time here. I started studying around Oct 14th, 10 days of rest, `So I had 6 weeks.

I though BEC is the easiest section so in my mind made sense to sit for it in the same testing window.

BEC probably IS easiest but it's god damn boring!

I used Becker.

First Lecture was damn about Coso and Enterprise risk assessment. Thought I knew COSO from Auditing but I didn't COSO in BEC is in much more detailed and a tad more complicated. Enterprise Risk Management has a lot of details too. In between the lecture I found it boring and lost a bit of concentration. Reread the lecture after listening to it and got most of the concept. 2nd Half of the lecture is related to cost accounting which was not that hard too be honest. It was basic cost accounting stuff. Most important stuff was related to COGMF, COGS, and calculating direct material used price. You need to go over it thoroughly. Struggled with COSO questions. Found questions are more difficult than the material. MCQs for cos accounting were not that hard for lecture 1

2nd Lecture. Too much cost accounting and calculations. Material ad MCQs were hard. A lot of calculations and long calculations. You need a cup coffee to solve MCQs. Many MCQs require long calculations. Like AUD, did one subtopic at a time and score percentages were mixed. Scored well in MCQs of 2nd lecture. Around 70s and 80s. Grasped the knowledge well.

3rd Lecture. was about corporate finance. Too many calculations and formulas. It was really hard to keep a track of all the formulas. Scored in 50s and 70s in the MCQs of this section. Good think was the calculations were not long. Formulas are easy to apply but there were so many of them.

Lecture 4. It was Information technology. Boring and full of IT terminologies. I don't have much interest in IT so found it hard to grasp the knowledge initially. I listened to the lecture and then read the text. From my experience you have to keep an eye on different procedures and have to learn some important definitions as well.. You have to learn EDI, E-commerce, Risk Assessment, etc.

Lecture 5. It was about economics. I had pretty good concept abut economics so I found this one pretty interesting.. Lecture is not that hard especially if you know basic concept of supply and demand.

Lecture 6. It's on the same concepts of lecture 1-5 except except the hedging. I don't pay much attention to the hedging. It was there in FAR as well but you hardly get 1-2 qns on it. Those qns are not hard too.

After finishing the lectures first time I reread it and then redid the qns. I keep doing all the questions until I get each and everyone right. I don't go the ones which I did correct more than once.

After finishing the review I did the progress questions. I did 100 questions and 72 questions. Then I took Becker's final exam. I scored 87 in the first testlet, 62 in the second and 62 in the third of the Becker's exam.

I realized my concepts related to COSO and enterprise risk management and information technology were weak. I went over the first lecture and 4th lecture again. Then I did 50 MCQs of both lectures again. Then I practiced important formula related to cost accounting and corporate finance. NPV, Variances, Payback, CAPM, these are really important.

Then I did 30 MCQs each of lecture 2, 3, and 5. Every time I read text and did MCQs my concept got better and better.

I did not do simulations. I read it but did not write it. I knew my writing skills were good enough, I didn't need to write 20 simulations to practice it. You need to go over the format of the writing skills, see the length, opening and closing. Before the exam night I listened to Becker's lecture about writing portion to understand the format.

On the exam day, I realized that Becker didn't prepare me enough for COSO and ERM questions. Questions were pretty vague as well. Plus there were few questions related to COSO which I felt I didn't study enough. And there were so many COSO questions. If you're using Becker try to get some other materials related to COSO. Older version would work as well. other than COSO nothing was unexpected. Calculations were easier than what I did in Becker. As expected there were two easy questions on hedging and forward exchange rates.

IMO the key to passing AUD and BEC is having strong concepts. These are mainly conceptual exams. And to have strong concepts you need need to go over text and qns as many times as you could. For FAR MCQS hold the key but for AUD and BEC you nee concepts. Writing section was easy.

I can't stress this enough don't panic. Never Panic while studying or when you're giving the exam. You always know more than you think you.

Good Luck to you!

FAR 86 Aug 2015
    AUD 85 Nov 2015
    BEC 84 Dec 2015
    REG 78 Mar 2016

GL to you MOAC on Reg. seems like you're on fire on this CPA journey.

Certified CPA, 2016

FAR-71,71,79
    BEC-80
    REG-72,77

MOAC
    Participant

Thank you @hokinizeu.

FAR 86 Aug 2015
    AUD 85 Nov 2015
    BEC 84 Dec 2015
    REG 78 Mar 2016

Anonymous
    Inactive

On my AUD retake, I did over 3,000 MC questions on Ninja software and still only got a 75. I think all 4 of these tests are difficult but AUD was especially hard.

I only used Ninja MCQ, Notes and Audio to pass AUD and FAR.

Tscape16
    Participant

With AUD, the trick is to know what part of the process you are in. At the same time, you also need to know if you're doing Aud vs Attest vs AUP. Get those down and its 70% of the test. The rest is definitions. Too many people blast through Audit having a rough idea of the different engagements/reviews. You gotta know it and nail it down or practice audit to succeed.

AUD - 92
    BEC - 86
    FAR - 90
    REG - 82
    Licensed CPA since 2015.

FAR - 90 ✔
    BEC - 86 ✔
    REG - 82 ✔
    AUD - 92 ✔
    ETHICS - Passed

*Licensed CPA

Anonymous
    Inactive

I had a 72 and a 74 on AUD before I passed with an 85.

The biggest change I made on my 3rd attempt was to locate problem areas. I pointed out 10-15 areas that I was struggling with. Once I figured those areas out, I made it my goal to make those areas my strong point. I spend a week walking through these areas and knowing EVERYTHING I possibly could about them. I would say on test day, I was HOPING for questions in 10 of those areas. That, mixed with the knowledge I already had, put me over the top. Make as many of your struggle areas, areas of strength!

When you get questions wrong, learn WHY you got them wrong. If you guessed on a HW question and got it right, think of it as an incorrect answer. You can't rely on guesses for a passing score. If you struggled on the SIMs, try to learn WHY you are getting things wrong. Don't be afraid to use the research area for help on SIMs. For areas like independence, the research can be VERY helpful. Also, make sure to give yourself enough time on the SIMS! Many times, they just take time to get through, if you run out of time, you will rush and likely lose points. I gave myself over an hour to get through the SIMS and that was a big help for me! I felt like I had 100% correct on 4 out of 7.

You passed 3 parts, you are within a couple points of your final part, you clearly get it! You just need a little extra help! Make those tough areas your strength areas. It's difficult and can be VERY frustrating, but will be worth it in the end!

MOAC
    Participant

I used research option for 2-3 Simulation Qns (of course for not the whole question) excluding the research question that is! I had so much time left that by the time I was done with simulations I still had over one hour left. Research option helped me quite a bit. I at least corrected 4-5 answers.

FAR 86 Aug 2015
    AUD 85 Nov 2015
    BEC 84 Dec 2015
    REG 78 Mar 2016

for425
    Participant

@MOAC

Enjoyed reading your insight on how to attack Audit. I recently started A-4 and like you did, I feel very lost. Do you think it would be best to go back and solidify A-1, A-2, and A-3 before moving on? Or should I just keep chugging along?

FAR - 72, 81
    BEC - 76
    REG - 78
    AUD - 61 (1/24), Retake (6/6)

Materials: Becker
    FAR Retake: + Wiley TB
    REG & AUD: + Ninja MCQ

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.