REG Study Group Q2 2015 - Page 117

• Creator
    Topic
    jeff
    Keymaster

Welcome to the Q2 2015 CPA Exam Study Group for REG.

“Death and Taxes” – Individual Tax for the CPA Exam

Posted by Another71 on Monday, November 24, 2014

Free NINJA: https://www.another71.com/cpa-exam-study-plan/

AUD - 79
    BEC - 80
    FAR - 76
    REG - 92
    Jeff Elliott, CPA (KS)
    NINJA CPA | NINJA CMA | NINJA CPE | Another71
Viewing 15 replies - 1,741 through 1,755 (of 3,544 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    jstay
    Participant

sounds good, yeah the sims suck although after going through them after doing becker questions twice, i did “alright” on them. some i was surprised that i actually got most of the sim correct and others were like WTF are they asking me.

Yeah 107 is definitely doable. I've already went through becker twice (3 if you count the time before my first exam in february) so ill probably just do progress tests of 72 out of becker, I still have about 1300 ninja left so hopefully be through that by next weds. Today was my last day at work until the exams done so my plan is to do anywhere from 200+ to 300+ a day..and read a chapter at night. exams 17 days away so hopefully this enough to get me a 75

i was thinking about it before, and within a month (its 4/28) it will be 5/28 and we will already have results by then, so hopefully this is our last two weeks of cramming then we can be done forever!!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

That's crazy you have done Becker 2x already lol I need to get on your level. I always find staring at the computer screen for long periods of time gives me headaches. I need to start wearing my glasses not my contacts.Did you do the blaw sims?

Anonymous
    Inactive

when is your exam? (sorry i know you told me before)

Anonymous
    Inactive

jstay,

why B?

jstay
    Participant

yeah, quickly though, they dont have 7 or 8 sims like the others (some even had more then 10!!). If you have time it couldnt hurt to look them over and sometimes seeing it in a sim can drive home the concept

as for becker 2X, yeah i didnt think i would get through that fast but I started like 3/26 and did R5-R8 in one week then R1-R4 the next. i then did some progress tests for a few days then after 4/15 i went through them all again..i hope im not just memorizing the answers, i feel like im not

Anonymous
    Inactive

your a machine!

jstay
    Participant

haha thanks i guess lol but a machine is useless if its not learning anything!!! but now i have 2+ weeks off (im a part time intern and the firm wants me to pass) i plan on doing non stop MCQ, its what worked with the other exams so hopefully this one works too

Anonymous
    Inactive

@anjanja

Amount realized 50

basis 30

Deferred gain =20

Purchased new property 52

deferred gain (20)

New basis =32

jstay
    Participant

Anna, yeah what cpa8488 said, i was going to go with 52 but i knew that would be to easy. Then when you get to the easy questions your like wait it cant be this simple..it screws with your mind!

Anonymous
    Inactive

cpa8488,

Thanks, I don't even have any of this in my notes. It sounds similar to like-kind exchange

Anonymous
    Inactive

@anjanja

Also if he/she never purchased the new property I'm pretty sure that 20 doesn't become deferred and must be recognized as income.

@jstay when is your exam?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I agree about easy questions. It just happened to me with this one. I was starring at it for few minutes trying to figure out what's the trick, but there wasn't one

Jeffrey, the sole proprietor of a hardware business, hired Eastwood on January 1, 2011, for an agreed salary and a promise to give him a 25% ownership interest if he were still employed at the end of 3 years, and an additional 25% interest if he continued in the business for a second 3-year period. On January 1, 2014, a partnership was formed, and Eastwood received a 25% interest in the capital and profits of the business. On that date, the net worth of the partnership was $60,000. What is Eastwood’s tax basis of his partnership interest at January 1, 2014, and what amount should be added to his gross income for 2014?

Partnership

Addition to

Interest

Gross Income

A.

$15,000

$15,000

Answer (A) is correct.

When a partnership interest is received in exchange for services performed, income equal to the fair market value of the partnership interest must be recognized by the partner. A partner’s basis in his or her partnership interest received for services rendered is equal to the income recognized. Eastwood must recognize gross income of $15,000 ($60,000 × 25%), which is the value of the partnership interest received for services rendered. Eastwood’s basis in the partnership is $15,000, the amount of income recognized.

B.

$30,000

$15,000

C.

$0

$0

D.

$30,000

$30,000

Anonymous
    Inactive

cpa8488,

right, 2/3/4 years, that I know

Anonymous
    Inactive

@anjanja

Correct. Anytime services are exchanged for partnership interest the amount is recognized at FMV at is taxable to the partner and also becomes his/her basis amount.

jstay
    Participant

may 15th last day for this “wave” of releases

Viewing 15 replies - 1,741 through 1,755 (of 3,544 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.