REG Study Group Q4 2018 - Page 12

Viewing 15 replies - 166 through 180 (of 201 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Ace CPA
    Participant

what was the SIMS about? i have my test in 6 days and i feel so bad about sims 🙁

NEVER GIVE UP!
    To0ld2Pass
    Participant

@Ace CPA can't really say what they were about but I can say what they stressed in Becker and what Jeff stressed in his audio was on point lol. I thought i was suffecient in the areas and I believe I did well on the MPQ in those areas but applying them is where I failed. I think both prep programs did well at pointing out what i should of mastered/

AUD - 81
    BEC - 79
    FAR - 76
    REG - 78
    Always chose the road less traveled.
    Drew
    Participant

Are there going to be a lot of sims that we need to fill out tax forms? Roger's software is messed up so I can't really practice those questions. I tried reaching out and they said they're “working on it”

Tncincy
    Participant

Starting power study for today. No real schedule or other things to do so I guess I can study all day. It certainly will help me to study all day. Hope study is going well for everyone.

It begins with a 75
    Been here too long as a cheerleader.....time to pass

It begins with a 75
    Been here too long as a cheerleader....ready to pass

Tim
    Participant

I felt like practicing MCQ's wasn't really getting me anywhere so I've been doing Gleim sims the last couple days. I think the big picture element of the problems is helping me more than the MCQs were. I like the sims where you take one concept (such as when to recognize gain/loss on property transactions) and it gives you a bunch of different scenarios which highlights the different applications of the rules.

A little trick I've been doing is I submit the sim blank. That way when I fill in the answer it tells me immediately if it's right or wrong and I can look at the answer explanations to see why. I find this a lot more valuable for studying than doing all 5 sims in the testlet before getting any feedback on them.

FAR - 97 (10/12/17)
    BEC - 95 (01/15/18)
    AUD - 88 (04/06/18)
    REG - 89 (11/16/18)
    Hass
    Participant

Hi all,

Wanted some advice on what you guys think. I took REG yesterday, finished the MCQ in about an hour and felt like I killed it honestly. Hopefully I don't jinx myself. The sims were okay, from thinking back I think I scored 3/5 on one sim, 2-3/5 on the next (these would be medium level), authoritative literature was a breeze, the next sim I feel like I scored 4-5/8, one after that maybe 2/5 which was brutal (didn't know how to do two of them, last two more difficult sims), a sim I believe I could have scored 5-7 out of 7 (medium level), another 3/6 (easier to medium, just messed up on a calc), and the last one I would say 6-8/10. This is my second time taking the exam. When I took it the first time, I did comparable on MCQ and weaker on sims for an overall of 69. I wonder if I got some easier questions wrong on the sims if I will get docked. I'm actually really worried. Need to have this done by Dec. Do you guys think this partial credit could spark a passing grade? I tend to overthink the entire exam after taking it. Would this partial credit be sufficient enough maybe for a passing score or will it really depend on how the rest of the candidates test on these sims?

Thanks.

Hass
    Participant

What did you struggle with for the sims? Did you feel a lot were doable but you just happened to make some little mistakes in calculations here and there?

Determined24
    Participant

I know there is a different rule regarding the standard deductions for a dependent who was claimed on someone else's return but regarding the personal exemption; can a qualifying child who someone else claimed a dependency exemption for; still claim a personal exemption on his/her personal tax return (assuming the dependent is filing his own tax return to be able to get a refund).?

All or Nothing
    Tim
    Participant

No, it says right on the 1040 that if someone else can claim you as a dependent then do not check the box for your personal exemption.

FAR - 97 (10/12/17)
    BEC - 95 (01/15/18)
    AUD - 88 (04/06/18)
    REG - 89 (11/16/18)
    Tim
    Participant

Well T-1 day to my exam. I will not be studying today. I really wish I had 2-3 more weeks to study. While I have all the main concepts down there are so many little details that I still don't know. I'm fairly confident I'll pass but I think this will be the most painful exam of the 4 for me. Hopefully this is the end for me and I will be done on Dec. 19 when the scores are released.

FAR - 97 (10/12/17)
    BEC - 95 (01/15/18)
    AUD - 88 (04/06/18)
    REG - 89 (11/16/18)
    Determined24
    Participant

Thank you Tim…a good thing I see would be to print out these individual tax forms and read through the instructions.

All or Nothing
    Determined24
    Participant

@Tim All the best and you have the icing on the cake for passing-confidence.

All or Nothing
    Hass
    Participant

@Tim good luck bud. I took it a few days ago. It was my last one as well. Hoping for the best Dec. 11.

Preksha
    Participant

@tim good luck!

AUD - 77
    BEC - 85
    FAR - 90
    REG - 88
    " All you need is the plan, the road map and the courage to press on to your destination"  - Earl Nightingale
    Cannell
    Participant

Hi,

I have just recently started my pursuit of taking the CPA Exams. I started studying for the REG exam a week ago and have scheduled to take the test on December 10th. I'm using Wiley CPAExcel and just going through that material as intended.

I guess I just wanted to introduce myself. I've been reading posts on this forum now for the past week and figured I had might as well register just in case I needed to make a post.

AUD - NINJA in Training
    BEC - NINJA in Training
    FAR - NINJA in Training
    REG - 60
    Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing.
Viewing 15 replies - 166 through 180 (of 201 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.