REG 1/26 Bad Simulations - Page 2

• Creator
    Topic
    maxw97

So, I just came back from my REG test. Questions were very unexpected. Almost half of the questions were on

I wouldn’t say it’s hard but it’s definitely something Becker didn’t emphasize. One question appeared twice and I got them both wrong 🙁

I still felt that I would pass until I got down to simulations. There were just too many blanks to fill and all of them were long and complicated. I only had 60 mins so I easily freaked out. I am confident on only one simulation and for the rest, I was not sure at all.

My question is, could it be because I did fairly well on the first three sections that they gave me hard simulations in the fourth? I put in all my answers as formulas (I even used ‘if’ formula) but do they really care? If those questions were indeed hard and most people get them wrong, will my chance to passing get higher?

I didn’t expect to start a topic here but I can’t help sharing my frustration with you. (Sorry!) Thank you everyone for listening to my worries. I will update my score so hopefully you won’t have to freak out.

Viewing 11 replies - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    pinaycpa

I'm wondering what's the missing word…lol. I am freaking out after reading this post. Scary..I might move my exam date.

FAR 04/21/2012 - Passed
    AUD 07/28/2012 - Passed
    BEC 10/20/2012 - Passed
    REG 2/28/13 - Horrible exam ever! - Passed
    I'M DONE!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sims are all about knowing the material thoroughly. No amount of practice sims can prepare you for the real ones. It all boils down to knowing the topics well and relearning them over and over again. Study study study is the only way one can be prepared for the sims.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sims are all about knowing the material thoroughly. No amount of practice sims can prepare you for the real ones. It all boils down to knowing the topics well and relearning them over and over again. Study study study is the only way one can be prepared for the sims.

mcarras

Those who are worried about not having enough time for SIMS should work the MC testlets 30, 35, 35 minutes.

This would leave 80 minutes for the 6 simulations or about 13 minutes each.

mcarras

Those who are worried about not having enough time for SIMS should work the MC testlets 30, 35, 35 minutes.

This would leave 80 minutes for the 6 simulations or about 13 minutes each.

Myeble
    Participant

I know how you feel, the last time i took REG which was 2nd i felt horrible.

I study like a dog…I got to the exam and all the SIMs were on topics not covers on the material that i had….

Well, my luck… i got to the exam MY QUESTIONS were hard from testlet 1 to testlet 3 ..i mean really hard..I was flaging like half of them…and that was my second time. Needless to say…i fail. [ weak in Sims] People must think that am dumb especially those that pass the 1 first time with 2 research questions and manageable sims/questions..

I feel like this exam is like hit or miss.

Having said that wait for your results because may be you took the test with a bunch of people that did worst than you…then you might get a 87 or something…and pass.

Good luck…i still have to retake it soon. So frustrated!

I heard Bod Monnet [bisk] said while teaching AUD…the topics for the simulations are INFINITS…that pretty much sums it all!

Myeble
    Participant

I know how you feel, the last time i took REG which was 2nd i felt horrible.

I study like a dog…I got to the exam and all the SIMs were on topics not covers on the material that i had….

Well, my luck… i got to the exam MY QUESTIONS were hard from testlet 1 to testlet 3 ..i mean really hard..I was flaging like half of them…and that was my second time. Needless to say…i fail. [ weak in Sims] People must think that am dumb especially those that pass the 1 first time with 2 research questions and manageable sims/questions..

I feel like this exam is like hit or miss.

Having said that wait for your results because may be you took the test with a bunch of people that did worst than you…then you might get a 87 or something…and pass.

Good luck…i still have to retake it soon. So frustrated!

I heard Bod Monnet [bisk] said while teaching AUD…the topics for the simulations are INFINITS…that pretty much sums it all!

Myeble
    Participant

Guy, I found this post By Jeff….

When I lost my FAR credit after being one “point” from being a CPA (back to back 74s on REG), I had 2 choices:

– Get pouty

– Get angry.

It's not immature at all – it's a mindset that gets you out of bed to study at 5am, over lunch, and on the weekends.

Am getting angry…

Myeble
    Participant

Guy, I found this post By Jeff….

When I lost my FAR credit after being one “point” from being a CPA (back to back 74s on REG), I had 2 choices:

– Get pouty

– Get angry.

It's not immature at all – it's a mindset that gets you out of bed to study at 5am, over lunch, and on the weekends.

Am getting angry…

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Myeble – It doesn't mean you're stupid. These tests are killers. So far, I've passed 3 of 3 on my first try, just waiting on a score for my 4th…but I want you to know that I have never read about someone's testing experience and thought they were stupid for failing! There's an element of luck to these tests, and a lot of unknowns. Brilliant people fail them multiple times and dimwits skate by on their first try…and vice-versa. Just focus on the re-take and don't worry about what people think of it. 🙂 Outside of the CPA exam community, people don't necessarily understand how hard these are, so you may have some people in your life who think that you're not smart since you didn't pass…but don't let them bug you, either, because they just simply don't know what you're dealing with. If you look around here long enough, you'll see people (and maybe this is you too) who went to college on academic scholarships and maintained really high GPAs throughout both undergrad and graduate work, and yet struggle to pass a single section of this exam. And then you see the people with a 2.1 undergrad GPA pass it on their first try and think “What the heck?!” But that's all because this exam is unpredictable. It is conquerable, but unpredictable.

@OP – Well not really talking to the OP since this thread is 8 months old…but @anyone who is in the same situation as the OP and planning to follow advise given to him. 😉 Don't re-study till you get your scores. You never truly know how you did. I'm currently waiting on a REG score that I'm quite nervous about, because life came up and my studying got cut VERY short. But…I have forced myself to leave the books on the shelf because I can't re-take it till January anyway – why waste time studying when I might have passed? I'll get my scores 2 months before the earliest I could take my exam, and that's enough time to study if I'm going to have to re-take. Even if I was getting my score in the last wave of the window, I still wouldn't re-study till I knew if I'd passed or failed, because if I passed, then the study time was wasted. If I failed, then I can pick up the books then. If you have another section to take still, then start studying for the next exam. A “break” from the material might not hurt anyway.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Myeble – It doesn't mean you're stupid. These tests are killers. So far, I've passed 3 of 3 on my first try, just waiting on a score for my 4th…but I want you to know that I have never read about someone's testing experience and thought they were stupid for failing! There's an element of luck to these tests, and a lot of unknowns. Brilliant people fail them multiple times and dimwits skate by on their first try…and vice-versa. Just focus on the re-take and don't worry about what people think of it. 🙂 Outside of the CPA exam community, people don't necessarily understand how hard these are, so you may have some people in your life who think that you're not smart since you didn't pass…but don't let them bug you, either, because they just simply don't know what you're dealing with. If you look around here long enough, you'll see people (and maybe this is you too) who went to college on academic scholarships and maintained really high GPAs throughout both undergrad and graduate work, and yet struggle to pass a single section of this exam. And then you see the people with a 2.1 undergrad GPA pass it on their first try and think “What the heck?!” But that's all because this exam is unpredictable. It is conquerable, but unpredictable.

@OP – Well not really talking to the OP since this thread is 8 months old…but @anyone who is in the same situation as the OP and planning to follow advise given to him. 😉 Don't re-study till you get your scores. You never truly know how you did. I'm currently waiting on a REG score that I'm quite nervous about, because life came up and my studying got cut VERY short. But…I have forced myself to leave the books on the shelf because I can't re-take it till January anyway – why waste time studying when I might have passed? I'll get my scores 2 months before the earliest I could take my exam, and that's enough time to study if I'm going to have to re-take. Even if I was getting my score in the last wave of the window, I still wouldn't re-study till I knew if I'd passed or failed, because if I passed, then the study time was wasted. If I failed, then I can pick up the books then. If you have another section to take still, then start studying for the next exam. A “break” from the material might not hurt anyway.

Viewing 11 replies - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.