NY license without 150 credits and public accounting experience

• Creator
    Topic
    kambsa

Hi All,

I just passed my last section of the CPA exam, but I don’t meet the 150 credit requirement or the experience requirements. I have over 5 years of accounting experience, but not in public accounting and I only have 124 credits. Just wondering if anyone was able to get a license with similar credentials as I have. I think NY waives the education requirements if you have two years of public accounting experience. I would love to put CPA after my name!!!!! =) Any thoughts?

AUD - Passed 88
    REG - Passed 87
    BEC - Passed 78
    FAR - Passed 75

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Shay

I don't think so. Simply contact your Board and get a official answer. Good luck

CPA Hopeful

Hey Kambsa, I also just passed in NY and I know for a fact that you cannot get the license without meeting both the education and experience requirements. You would need to have 15 years of public accounting experience to not need to meet the education requirement. I would love to put those letters after my name too. I meet the education requirement but still need the 1 year experience. Hopefully we will both get there soon. I would suggest looking into getting those 26 credits you need because you will not get the license without them. Good luck!

FAR - 81
    REG - 75
    AUD - 85
    BEC - 79

Thank goodness it's over... Now on to the next step...

jelly
    Participant

You'd be okay if you're grandfathered under the old 120 credits/2 year rule.

The work experience rule now includes pretty much anything, public or private, as long as a CPA signs against the time.

For the other 26 credits, you can probably take a random mess of undergrad classes anywhere and submit them, unless you feel like getting a master's degree.

Couldn't pass again!

kambsa

Thanks so much for the feedback CPA Hopeful and jelly. I think I might be able to get sign off on the experience since I do work under a CPA for the past two years. Goodluck to you both on obtaining your license too. I will keep everyone posted!

AUD - Passed 88
    REG - Passed 87
    BEC - Passed 78
    FAR - Passed 75

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am grandfathered. Graduated 2005!!! Sat for a few parts (even Passed) and lost my way for a few years. now I am back and ready to rock.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.