0-3: Words of Encouragement / Study Advice - Page 2

• Creator
    Topic
    REG-FTW86
    Participant

So I am now 0-3. Failed FAR (57), BEC (70), AUD(54-no idea…). I am already over the failed AUD and am re-taking it in April. I learned not to dwell on what is and to focus on what is to become.

I’m not sure who here had the opportunity to overcome a situation similar to mine. I have a long road ahead of me and I am still at the starting line. I’m burning a lot of fuel but am not gaining any traction and now have to refuel. Fuel isn’t cheap and neither are these exams. I just want to start this race and get moving. If you have been here before I would appreciate any words of encouragement. It does mean a lot.

I am posting this quote below on my desk at home as a constant reminder and would like to have others input to put up as well.

This came from the Director of Finance who checks up on my status.

“So if I can offer any words of encouragement, it’s ok to fail as long as you keep your chin up and never lose your focus on the prize. Go Tyler!”

Side note. I love that I can get what’s on my mind on these forums. It’s healthy to let it out and write it down and really helps me.

AUD - 78
    BEC - 77
    FAR - 77
    REG - 80
    "Our greatest weakness lies in giving up.  The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time."  Thomas A. Edison

How bad do you want it?

Regulation For The Win!

FAR 57, 62, 77
    BEC 70,77
    AUD 54,78
    REG 66, 62, 7/29

FAR.BEC.AUD.AUD.BEC.FAR.FAR.REG.REG

Roger CPA Review / Ninja MCQ Supplement

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time - Thomas Edison

Viewing 10 replies - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Texan_176
    Participant

I'm thinking about getting Ninja audio for AUD. The whole lecture is 2.5 hours so it is condensed. I need a 15 point boost to pass AUD.

What about the audio did you like?

My commute is 20 minutes so I would not do in car at all but I would do it in the evenings or exercising.

AUD - 83
    BEC - 77
    FAR - 83
    REG - 78
    Licensed TX CPA

BEC 11/29/14 77 (Roger)
    AUD 2/23/15 60 (Roger) 4/13/2015 83 (Roger & Ninja MCQ)
    REG 5/30/2015 66 (Roger & Ninja MCQ(7 hours only)) 8/23/2015 78 (Roger & Ninja MCQ)
    FAR 11/23/2015 60 (Roger & NINJA MCQ) 2/24/2016 74 (Roger & NINJA MCQ) 5/25/2016 83 (Roger+Roger CRAM & NINJA MCQ/NOTES)
    Texas Ethics Exam 92%

Licensed TX CPA Aug 2016

REG-FTW86
    Participant

I'm really torn. Shouldn't I stick to to audit since I took it just now and then jump back to FAR? I took FAR last October so Audit is more fresh.

AUD - 78
    BEC - 77
    FAR - 77
    REG - 80
    "Our greatest weakness lies in giving up.  The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time."  Thomas A. Edison

How bad do you want it?

Regulation For The Win!

FAR 57, 62, 77
    BEC 70,77
    AUD 54,78
    REG 66, 62, 7/29

FAR.BEC.AUD.AUD.BEC.FAR.FAR.REG.REG

Roger CPA Review / Ninja MCQ Supplement

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time - Thomas Edison

shankysays

@Texan_176, my commute is about 15 minutes each way and I listened to Ninja audio. They're divided into chapters, some of which are pretty short, and the key is to listen to them over and over again, until you can anticipate what Jeff is going to say (IMO)

BEC - 72, 82! ✓
    FAR - 80! ✓
    AUD - 70, 92! ✓
    REG - 74, 78! ✓

Licensed CPA 5/2015

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just get FAR and AUD out of the way. Focus on only 1 test at a time. FAR is going to be the hardest so get it out of the way first. This gave me a huge confidence boost going into AUD.

IndianaCPA

Don't jump around from exam to exam. Stick with one exam at at time (at least until you gain more confidence). Also, don't take the test to take the test. Push the exam back if you aren't ready. Take the exams at the end of the testing window so you can see your score sooner and have only a week between taking the exam and knowing if you need to restudy.

I took the exams in 2009-2011. I took all of the exams sooooo many times. I never had two sections passed at the same time. I took the exam when my schedule let me fit the exam in – not when I felt ready. I gave up on the exam. I felt like such a failure. I left public accounting and thought I would never look back. Finally, I decided 11 months ago to go back and take the exams. I studied “smarter” and relaxed about the potential of failing. The exams were so different from my first experience. Remember – anyone can pass the exams. The exams are more about discipline than iq. Also, take reg or financial first so you have time to get the exams in before your 18 months expire. Spend the time before the clock starts studying for one of the bigger exams.

B 74, 79
    A 62, 81
    R 76
    F 75

Done!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I failed my first three exams with scores of 74 (BEC), 72 (BEC), 71(REG). Then I passed two in a row 82 (REG) then 77 (BEC). After finally thinking I was on a roll and that I figured out how to pass these, after taking this exam several times and knowing what to expect, I failed AUD with a 68 last month. I felt great during and after the test. I was thinking it would be my best score.

As it turns out, two of my coworkers also failed AUD on their first try, and they got a 68 also! I'm not sure how they grade this thing but I feel like you have to fail a couple of times in a rite of passage type thing.

The one thing I did different to pass my exams however was to use the Ninja products. All of them. I'm going back in after tax season ends to finish these exams. So over it.

Kimboroni

My commute is only 15 minutes as well. It was always worth it to listen to Jeff.

AUD 84 (1/9/14-Wiley books/TB + free materials)
    FAR 83 (5/21/14-the above + NINJA 10 Pt Combo Lite)
    REG 84 (7/9/14-Wiley books/TB + NINJA Audio/FC/Notes)
    BEC 76 (10/5/14-Wiley books/TB + NINJA Audio/FC)

Disclaimer: My ninja avatar is not meant to imply that I have any affiliation with this site other than being a forum member. That's a pic of a T-shirt that my daughter gave me for my birthday. 🙂

zoctoman

All I can say is that you can only focus on one individual day at a time. Each day you wake up try to “win” the day. On days in which you have a lot of energy, go for it. On days when you feel tired and run down, just hang in there and scrape what you can from the day.

From a studying stand point, it is easy to be fearful of these hard topics, but get your mindset in “attack” mode. For instance, about 5 days before my Reg test I felt overwhelmed and strongly considered moving my test back. After discussion with my wife, we decided that those last 5 days I was gonna go after it with reckless abandon. I knew I wouldn't “master' the material, but I studied each second like that was my goal.

Go for the GOLD, and even if you fall short it may very well be a 75!!

Audit(11/5/13) - 89
    Reg(5/16/14) - 86
    FAR(7/18/14) - 82
    BEC(11/14) - 85

nicole2035

Define learning, studying, and reviewing.

Re-writing notes is reviewing, it is not studying or learning. If you have a lot of info you need to learn or study, then you need to stop re-writing. Studying is going over problems that are challenging, if you know a concept, you're reviewing.

Learning is going through the info, going through new MC etc. I think most of he study hours the estimate for sections are LEARNING hours, actual studying and reviewing, you'll need to add more on top.

Hard topics are never as bad as you think, google or get on here and search the topic to see how others explained. There are some users on here that should be professors. I never feel sorry for myself when i was studying, and i made sure i dived directly into it without thinking. I logged all my study hours so i knew when i was slacking and was so honest with myself. Also a google chrome app that blocked sites for 45 minutes while i studied helped a TON. It's called “strict workflow”

Tux

THendry –

I understand your dilemma about whether to abandon AUD now and switch to FAR, or keep going with AUD.

It depends how you feel about FAR….

My biggest concern is that you pass AUD which starts the 18 month clock, but FAR eats up too much of your time and you don't finish all the sections by the deadline. Then you have to take AUD again anyway.

So, with that said – it's your call

Determine if you have a decent foundation on FAR, so that it's really more of a review vs. learning everything from scratch (like it was for me).

If that's the case, go forward with AUD. Hopefully, you can then work on FAR and complete it within 3 months or so..

If you don't feel comfortable with FAR at all, right now, and you think it will take you a while to learn it (if did for me), then you don't want to pass AUD now cuz the 18 month clock starts.

Granted, lots of people pass FAR plus 2 others inside the 18 month window, but I personally would not have been able to do it.

FAR - 86 - 2/27/14
    AUD - 75 - 5/29/14
    BEC - 80 - 8/31/14
    REG - 89 - 2/27/15
    Praise Jesus! I'm done!!

Study resources:
    Becker
    Wiley test bank

Viewing 10 replies - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.