Should I do a Master or take ramdom classes to complete the 150 credits?

• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Anonymous.
  • Creator
    Topic
    Asabashe
    Participant

Hello,

I’m only 24 credits away from the 150 credits to be eligible for the CPA license. What do you all recommend, do a master or just take random classes?

I have a BS and almost all the classes required by several states but still need those extra credits and don’t know which direction to take.

PS: I’m a military spouse so I may end up in “God knows” which state so I need to be ready for anything and everything.

Thanks,

AUD - NINJA in Training
    BEC - NINJA in Training
    FAR - NINJA in Training
    REG - 80
    I Can Do This!!
Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies

does getting a master's require more cost? if yes, just take random classes; if no, get your master's

oh wait.. you're in the military so do they fund your education?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I did my 150 on a study abroad in Japan. Is that an option for you?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was in a similar boat. My company paid tuition reimbursement (only ~$8K/year) and I took online classes. I got my MBA through Liberty University online. It was ridiculously easy and only required 36 credits. I think I needed like 26 credits or something to get the 150. My MBA isn't exactly prestigious, but it didn't cost me anything out of pocket and it's a little gold star on my resume.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I went the 150 route because my old job paid for it and because I did bad on the gmat. Technically, if I went back to get the masters it's only 4-5 extra classes and I would have to pay the difference in tuition.

y_u_no_pass
    Participant

Most MACC's are only 30 credit hours. Since you need 24 you should probably just go for it, if you think you can complete in time or find an online program.

Florida CPA!
    Took final exam 2/25/15.
    Sent in Application 3/12/15.
    Issued License 3/20/15.
    Used CPA Excel solely for all exams.

Mike9867

If you can stay put in one place for a year, do the macc/macy somewhere.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Getting a Masters in Accounting is a waste of time and money (this is coming from someone who has a MAcc). Instead, think about all the classes you wish you would have taken in undergrad- Philosophy, Geology, Polysci, Anthropology, Underwater Basket Weaving, etc. and take some of those. I also like the above person's suggestion of studying abroad. Take advantage of the time you have to do that type of stuff. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but once you start working full-time and studying, you won't exactly have a life for a while. Enjoy it while you can!

omalloy

CLEP!

FAR 65, 70, 78
    REG 64, 76
    BEC 70, 80
    AUD 81

Ethics 96

Péter un plomb

Asabashe
    Participant

Thanks guys for all the great responses!

I had heard from several people that the MACC program is a waste of time and money. The military doesn't pay for it so it is all coming out of my pocket and traveling abroad is not an option at the moment due to family commitment.

My guts keep telling me to just take random classes so I think I'll go with it.

Thanks again!

AUD - NINJA in Training
    BEC - NINJA in Training
    FAR - NINJA in Training
    REG - 80
    I Can Do This!!
    Anonymous
    Inactive

It depends. I went the less traditional route with completing my 150 credits through taking random classes at a local state university. Now I have some regret because after going through one recruiting season I was still passed upon by all the public firms. I'm now considering applying to a MACC just so I get the networking opportunities they provide on campus.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.