BEC after 4/1/17

• Creator
    Topic
    kendallgcollier
    Participant

Hey guys!

I’m retaking BEC in about a week. It’s my first exam under the new CPA exam (as of 04/01/17). Anyone out there have comments on BEC?

AUD - 81
    BEC - 71
    FAR - 78
    REG - 84
    BEC Retake: 09/09/19
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    dbacpa
    Participant

My best advice is to hammer as many MCQs as possible. But at the same time focus on quality over quantity. Make sure you understand the questions you got wrong and their explanations. I used Becker and Ninja MCQs and felt as prepared as I could be. I wouldn't stress the sims. If you do the MCQs and understand the answers, you will do well on the sims. I didn't practice the WCs very much prior to my exam. I looked over the suggested structure and brushed up on some business writing tips. IT is the toughest part, it's so hard to prepare for what you will see on the exam. So don't be shocked when you see something related to IT that you never heard of. Just relax and try to narrow down the answers as best you can. There is no better prep than MCQ in my opinion.

AUD - 82
    BEC - 89
    FAR - 81
    REG - 84
    I have my life back!!
    rb2017
    Participant

Do you have Becker? If so (and you have the book from before 4/1/17), make sure to study the Appendix with all of the IT terms. They don't include it with the new study materials for some reason. However it won't prepare you entirely for IT, so memorizing each term probably won't guarantee you'll nail the IT section.
    Once you start memorizing the answers to the MCQ questions in your review, it's probably time to make sure you actually understand how the answer was derived. I made my own notes from my book and wouldn't move to the next topic until I could actually explain to myself what the book was talking about. I think that's what really helped me overall.

The sims were not bad in my opinion – just time consuming, so make sure you keep an eye on the clock! I tried to allocate 1.5 hours for MCQ, 1.5 for sims, and 1 hour for WC, but it took me nearly 2 hours to complete the MCQ so I felt rushed by the time I ended up to the WC portion.

Also, utilize the 15 minute break they give you. I felt very defeated after the MCQ and first testlet of sims. The break was nice because (at least at my prometric) they let me go outside for fresh air and recharge for the rest of the exam.
    Don't get discouraged during the exam if you see a topic you've never heard of – just hope it is going to be one of the 12 pretest questions they throw out and keep going.
    I felt like there was no way I'd pass it halfway through but I kept at it, and somehow wound up with an 86.

AUD - 77
    BEC - 86
    FAR - 75
    REG - 77
    No need to worry, my accountant handles that.
    kendallgcollier
    Participant

Thanks for the advice – I appreciate both comments!!!

I'm using Wiley CPAExcel + Ninja Notes & MCQs. I'm a tax guy and I would say I very much disliked cost accounting and economics while in college. BEC has been very trying for me. Working through MCQs & reading over the Ninja notes in the final days. Will probably take a day to practice writing/half a day.

AUD - 81
    BEC - 71
    FAR - 78
    REG - 84
    BEC Retake: 09/09/19
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.