35 years old and returning back to accounting after 5 years - Page 2

• Creator
    Topic
    Rb899

Hello guys,

I am in the middle of soul searching to determine if I should take the CPA exam or not.

Here is my story:

I got my undergrad accounting degree back in 2007, at age 27 (started undergrad at age 23). I was able to find a job in Fund accounting, but after a year and a half, I found and left for a higher paying Fund accounting job.

After almost two years at the new job, they downsized and I got laid off, at age 30. Unfortunately this was during mid 2010, during the worst job market in US history, which also meant there were a ton of newly experienced unemployed and the market was extremely competitive. And after sending out hundreds of resumes and contacting many recruiters, I was not able to land a job.

A year had passed since I started job hunting and still no accounting job interviews. So now I began to look for bookkeeping and temp jobs but still no luck. I did get interviews for these positions but either I was under qualified for the available temp positions or overqualified for bookkeeping.

Out of desperation for income, I joined my family’s dry-cleaning business as the store manager and have been there since. And when the job market returned I was already out of accounting for 2-3 years..

So here I am today, at age 35, managing a drycleaners for the past 5 years, and regretting every day I did not try harder to find a job back in 2010.

Now I am wondering if I pass the CPA exam, would I be marketable enough for industry or public to hire me as staff accountant even though I have not held an accounting or office job in the past 5-6 years?

Please share your thoughts on this. Any advice or comment is much appreciated.

Thank you

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Rb899

@ mla11692

Thank you for your response.

I just looked at my resume and it does list too many dry-cleaning activities which makes me look like a sweat-shop manager. I will modify the resume based on the excellent points you've made.

I do use Quickbooks for bookkeeping A/P, A/R, and payroll (very low volume work). Also, I do deal with out tax accountant and provide all the financials and info he requests (although all I do is print off the Quickbooks). In addition, I deal with all our vendors and corporate accounts regarding billing and payment issues.

I also integrated computerized system for the register from manual-paper recording to improve efficiency and the accuracy of the inventory and cash status, but i'm not sure if this should be included as accounting related work.

I thought about getting it professionally edited but don't know exactly who to send it to as I have no experience or know anyone who personally have used them so I can be referred to one (as they are very expensive).

BTW, you have a lot of credentials under your belt whereas I have a brief and inconsistent work history without a CPA so my results should be drastically different than yours. I wish I received as many interviews as you have considering I sent out over 300+ so far yet only landing 3 phone interviews.

Hopefully my luck will change with your suggested changes. And come to think of it, you are right.. I am not aggressive enough. It's just that when no one gets back to you after years of sending resumes, it becomes very discouraging.

Rb899

@ Lion_of_the_Rock

Did you apply to public or industry?

Also, please keep us posted regarding your job search experiences. I hope passing your exam will prove to employers how serious and dedicated you were and give you a chance, hopefully based on that achievement.

Lion_of_the_Rock
    Participant

I applied to a public firm.

I'm not at the stage where I am pumping them out in mass yet. I'll update as things change.

BEC - 78
    AUD - 75
    REG - 74, 79
    FAR - 75

You have to buy a ticket to win the raffle.

acamp
    Participant

If you're eying public, passing sections shows your seriousness and in my opinion helps soften the 5-year gap as it shows you're relevant enough to pass the current CPA exam (but as others mentioned, this won't do much for private jobs).

Do you have enough college credits to be licensed under current requirements? If not, you might take additional units at a college that has good campus recruitment by CPA firms. These classes will likely be more expensive than taking them at a community college, but the access to campus recruiters may be worth it. Additionally, most big firms require that you have the necessary prerequisites to be licensed prior to employment (and with good reason, college + public accounting, no thanks!).

Self proclaimed: Highest ratio of Replies to Others v. Posts Created on A71

California CPA - Big4 Aud Manager Alum - Private Accounting at Startups

FAR, REG and BEC with Ninja Notes + WTB Only

Ninja + Wiley Test Bank: [FAR - 81] [REG - 76] [BEC - 88] [AUD - 73](doh!)

Becker Videos: [AUD - 82]

California CPA

Lion_of_the_Rock
    Participant

I have the exams passed plus the education requirements met. I need a job and the sign off from a CPA to complete the cert. I did a few tax seasons with VITA too recently, but I know those tax returns will differ a bit to what I encounter in public. My biggest challenge is getting an interview.

We'll see.

BEC - 78
    AUD - 75
    REG - 74, 79
    FAR - 75

You have to buy a ticket to win the raffle.

Rb899

@ acamp

I registered with the state when I graduated in 2007 so I am grandfathered in with the 120 credit requirement.

Rb899

@ Lion_of_the_Rock

VITA, interesting.. is this similar to H and R Block tax experience? perhaps I should do this next season IF at even at that point I don't have anything else to do.

Anonymous
    Inactive

hi – pardon me for barging in on your thread but..@mla11692 – how did you find linkedIn I'm a bit of a privacy worry wart and wonder if I should get over it and get a login or just forget about it. Also did you ever get responses from the companies you'd wanted to work for but had no current listings? I'm reading this book right now that leans towards “targeting” for lack of a better word a company you'd like to work for rather than just submitting your resume to postings. Thank you for the advice in advance.

Missy
    Participant

LinkedIn is fabulous because it allows you to demonstrate your professional connections (i.e. I've connected with professionals from all types of industries) but more importantly when you do interview it allows you to get a bit of information about the person you'lll be meeting with (may have worked in a similar industry as each other so you can ask how the transition was, etc). Also a few employers will ONLY post jobs there.

I did get responses from companies without listings, but most were thanks, we'll keep your info on file.

My current job was through a recruiter who was FABULOUS, we had worked together for about 3 years and I gave him my wish list. He sent me very few jobs but each met my criteria, This one was just perfect.

Old timer,  A71'er since 2010.

Finance manager/HR manager

Licensed Massachusetts Non Reporting CPA since 2012
    Finance/Admin/HR Manager

acamp
    Participant

You absolutely sure you're grandfathered in for licensing (that is, not just grandfathered for being able to sit for the exams)?

I remember when CA switched over, people were grandfathered into the old licensing but they to pass all exams by a certain date.

California CPA

Anonymous
    Inactive

thanks @mla11692 – I'm asking this question to better qualify LinkedIn ie if it'll be good for me or not – are you in California? I am. Also do you have any tips for us privacy worry warts? That's great about your recruiter unfortunately from my experience I don't really have the right qualifications for them to be effective for me right now, but maybe in the future.

Rb899

@ acamp

I am pretty sure I have the correct info.

I called the Office Of Profession of my state a month ago and confirmed I was allowed to sit for the exam. I also specifically asked if there was an expiration and they said no.

Have you heard anything to the contrary?

btw, I see you passed three sections without using a lecture, is this correct? Doing just MCQs did it for you?

Skynet
    Participant

An older CPA is like “Fine Wine” it gets better with age.

AUD - 90
    BEC - 78
    FAR - 84
    REG - 87
    World Domination Plan

Phase I : Pass CPA Exams - Complete
    Phase II : Megan Fox - In Progress
    Phase III : Megan Fox & Scarlett Johansson Lingerie Pillow Fight
    Phase IV : Form the new Charlie's Angels with Megan Fox, Scarlett Johansson, & Gal Gadot
    Phase V : TBD

BEC : 78
    REG : 87
    FAR : 84
    AUD : 90

World Domination Plan

Phase I : Pass CPA Exams - Complete
    Phase II : Megan Fox - Initiated
    Phase III : Bring back 8-Tracks
    Phase IV : Megan Fox & Scarlett Johansson Lingerie Pillow Fight
    Phase V : TBA

acamp
    Participant

I would just make extra super sure that being able to sit for the exams and becoming licensed are both grandfathered in. Since its two separate applications, that is, you completed the and have been accepted as a candidate and once you pass exams and get experience you then send in an application to get licensed.

It would really suck if you are only grandfathered to sit for the exam and then you go through the entire process to find out they won't give you a license. (I'm not nay saying, just looking out!)

Yeah, I passed 3/4 with MCQs, Ninja Notes and Google. I did a TON of MCQs, read the ninja notes, and Google topics I wasn't so familiar with (treating the Ninja notes like a test of completeness, for my brain lol). That said, I took most of the exams within 6mo-12mo after grad school and my undergrad was in finance, so BEC was a slam dunk, FAR wasn't bad and I scraped by on REG. If I were 5-years out, I dont think I could have pulled off the same results, but you never know, it was a good approach that worked for me.

California CPA

Rb899

@ acamp

You are making me nervous:( too bad its the weekend tomorrow.. I will call and confirm on Monday.

As for the test taking, what about SIMS? where did you source the SIms questions? thanks

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.