150 Hour Requirement

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I wish someone would explain the significance of the 150 hour requirement to me. It wouldn't be so bad if there were specific requirements to fulfill. Even obtaining a master's would make more since.

After you receive all the requirements for an accounting degree, you can take 15 – 20 hours of PE and qualify to sit for the exam.

It just doesn't make since.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    jeff
    Keymaster

Agree 110%

AUD - 79
    BEC - 80
    FAR - 76
    REG - 92
    Jeff Elliott, CPA (KS)
    NINJA CPA | NINJA CMA | NINJA CPE | Another71
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Do you know, Jeff, is that true across the states? I've been wondering where I stand with the 150 hour requirement. I just completed an accounting major, but I already have a PhD in a completely unrelated field….if I only have to work one year after passing the exams rather than two, to get the CPA, that will be a help. I've been wondering whom to call about it–but since I'm still in the middle of the exams, the issue hasn't been urgent.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Elissa – What state are you in?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oops, should have said…I'm in Pennsylvania.

Anonymous
    Inactive

looks like Pennsylvania voted to change the requirements in July 2008.

….the law brings Pennsylvania up to the national education standard of 150 credit hours and one year public accounting experience – in addition to the successful completion of the CPA Exam – before granting a CPA license. The education and experience changes will go into effect Jan. 1, 2012.

you may want to go to http://www.picpa.org to read up on the requirements.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes…it's actually the case in PA that if you start taking the exams (I think it's taking and not necessarily passing! still waiting on AUD) before 2010, you're grandfathered in under the old requirements. I have well over 200 credits, having spent the equivalent of 12 years in undergrad or grad school…I think I'll be up to 32 credits in accounting or finance by the end of this semester…but those are all undergrad accounting & finance courses. I need to make some phone calls to find out about my case, but it's going to be making calls to find the right person to call, since my advisor wasn't sure. Since I'm still "in process" with the exams, getting an answer on the work experience requirement for me (1 or 2 years) hasn't been paramount, but it's something on my mind.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.