Why the 150 credit hour rule is stupid - Page 3

• Creator
    Topic
    Givemesleep

If you pass the exam that should mean you have the knowledge to be a CPA, if not make the exam harder. The other reason is if you need 150 credit hours you shouldn’t be able to get a college degree in accounting with less than 150 hours. Experiece I understand, but if you can pass the hurdle of the exam tacking on a 5th year of college makes no sense. How does basket weaving make me a better accountant? I can see 120 hours plus 5-7 years experience in public or something like that. Maybe it’s just a barrier to keep the financialy challenged or older folks out of the license game. It’s a joke that a hedge fund manager can manage billions without a license or 150 hours but someone can’t sign a compilation even though you pass the rigid CPA exam and have 120 credit hours and experience. Okat back to FAR studying now. I must pass this nightmare already. Government should be a separte designation. How many CPA’s really do this stuff.

Reg 11/15/2011 - 80
    Aud 02/28/2012 - 81
    Bec 05/31/2012 - 78
    Far 08/31/2012 - 83 Do you believe in Miracles, YES !!!

CPA License received 10/2012 !!
    CFE License received 04/2013 !!
    EA License received

Givemesleep

Viewing 3 replies - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Missjwebb

** please note –

1. I am a stressed out student (haha)

2. human – could have garbled some of the facts

3. Tax Law & Accounting can be fun and frustrating…

4. Many of the so-called ‘req's are be rolled in… plus a LOT of websites, acct. societies, and even professors confuse the proposed requirements with the passed requirements

I was about to click and paste the CalCPA link – but it is SO VAGUE about the additional 30 units. This link I found https://stanny.org/drupal/sites/default/files/advising/tip_sheet150.pdf

is quite similar to what the director at my school showed me. Only glaring difference is the one I was showed stated those additional units are 300 level.

heck – maybe my school has got it wrong!! <– totally would NOT BE SURPRISED

(total tangent – director told me that the California licensure changes have been haggled to death by the boards & those evil decision makers. One professor told me they wanted MORE ethics courses (umm – my school barely has ANY – and definetly nothing in course catalog remotely titled'Accounting Ethics. I also heard that they were pushing for making a Master's degree MANDATORY before sitting for the CPA exams… thank goodness that didn't pass!!! )

Jackie

REG - planned for Nov 2012
    BEC - TBD
    FAR - TBD
    AUD - TBD

studying with CPAexcel
    considering Ninja Notes

@ missjwebb

I usually stick to CA Board of Accountancy website for all my information. I am presently pursuing pathway 2. I have yet to read about 300 level courses being required for that.

Good luck to you.

CA CPA - All because of the journey listed below
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    FAR - 53('10), 8/25/12 79 PASSED!
    REG - 66('11), 69('12), 12/06/12 77 PASSED!!
    BEC - 58('10), 74('12), 01/05/13 77 PASSED!!!
    AUD - 43('11), 66('12), 69('13), 74('13) 7/29/13 85 PASSED!!!!!

(Combinations of Roger, Yaeger, Wiley Book, Wiley TB, & NINJA Notes)

Ethics 90%

Missjwebb

@littlenumberrobot

thank you and GOOD LUCK TO YOU TOO!! — I appreciate any and ALL advice you have about studying for exams please!!!!

I so far love LOVE this forum! Very informative and encouraging.

*** already on my fav's tab on comp.

fyi – if the info about 300level rule is untrue, then I think I fall under pathway 2:

according to my transcripts-

177.5 units. Of those:

38 units – accounting

I think 60+ – business (I find the pathway 2 info on'business-related' subjects can be somewhat up to the discretion of the CBA… to be conservative – mine is 60 units, but aggressive interpretation could find well over 70 units)

Jackie

REG - planned for Nov 2012
    BEC - TBD
    FAR - TBD
    AUD - TBD

studying with CPAexcel
    considering Ninja Notes

Viewing 3 replies - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.