BEC Study Group April May 2017 - Page 24

• Creator
    Topic
    jeff
    Keymaster

Welcome to the Q2 2017 CPA Exam Study Group for BEC. 🙂

Viewing 15 replies - 346 through 360 (of 471 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Holly
    Participant

I'm doing NINJA sims right now and there are probe questions following the written communication. Is this how the test will be?

BEC - 79
    REG - 85
    AUD - 5/27/16

Grasshopper
    Participant

Hi Holly,

No, on the actual exam there are no probe questions in the written communications portion. I think the probe questions are just there to try and get us on the thinking path of what key works or phrases to use when we get the written communications. I have taken BEC 3 times from this past September to this past Tuesday. The probe questions weren't there any of the times. It would be great if the probe questions would be on the exam and we could get partial credit 🙂 Wishful thinking though

Grasshopper
    Participant

Wow, I'm actually surprised BEC would be Roger's weakest. I used Roger's videos and book along NINJA MCQs. I thought he covered more material then I had seen before. I honestly thought it was a good combination. Two weeks should be good on MCQs. I only had about a week and a half of MCQs and wish I would've had more time, but I think I did cover the material very well.

rb2017
    Participant

Does anyone know if one of the SIMs will be a research one? Wiley has a webinar next week on how to tackle research simulations but I wasn't sure if I should spend my time listening if it's not applicable.

marine
    Participant

Help please,

Koby Co. has sales of $200,000 with variable expenses of $150,000, fixed expenses of $60,000, and an operating loss of $10,000. By how much would Koby have to increase its sales in order to achieve an operating income of 10% of sales?
    $400,000
    $251,000
    $231,000
    $200,000

The answer is 200, but how?

Vinti
    Participant

@marine
    Explaination to your question:-
    Since contribution margin is 25% of sales, right. So equation will be-
    .25x+60000= .10x
    Where X= sales
    So By solving equation we will get X=sales=400000
    So current sales is 200000 so increase required is 200000 only. So it is correct answer.

Vinti
    Participant

Sorry equation will be
    .25x-60000=.10x

kziegler718
    Participant

Hi all-

Is anyone else studying using the new version of Becker? I'm on the second chapter, and find that the homework questions use numerous formulas not discussed anywhere in the book (for instance, float, lockbox income, etc). This is making me worried that there are other formulas/concepts not covered in Becker that will be tested.

Anyone having a similar experience and have a solution??

Thanks!

Need a little help with this MCQ:
    “A job order cost system uses a predetermined factory overhead rate based on expected volume and expected fixed cost. At the end of the year, underapplied overhead might be explained by which of the following situations?

A.
    Actual volume, greater than expected; Actual fixed costs, greater than expected

B.
    Actual volume, greater than expected; Actual fixed costs, less than expected

C.
    Actual volume, less than expected; Actual fixed costs, greater than expected

Incorrect D.
    Actual volume, less than expected; Actual fixed costs, less than expected

You answered D. The correct answer is C.

Underapplied overhead means the actual overhead cost was more than the overhead applied to work-in-process.

A lower production volume than planned could cause this, since the predetermined overhead application rate per unit would apply overhead for fewer units than planned, resulting in underapplied fixed overhead. This is actual production volume less than the expected production volume.

Underapplied overhead could also be caused by spending more for overhead than budgeted. This would be the situation where actual fixed costs are greater than the budgeted fixed costs.”

If Under applied OH means you spent more on OH during the period doesn't that mean There was MORE cost and MORE units?

A1lessio
    Participant

kziegler718 – I'm also using Becker and I think they do a good job of covering everything. B2 was a tough chapter though. I really hate all the Corp Finance Stuff. I think the new Format is way better. I'm realizing how little I knew, when I rushed BEC and failed it the first time.

Exactly 3 weeks until my exam. I need to cover 2 chapters this week, 1 in the beginning of next week and then a 1.5 week cram review.

AUD (08/02/2016)

marine
    Participant

Thank you so much! I couldn't get how variables will change.

Teal
    Participant

Back in here! I have my exam May 31st, so I am only studying for 3.5 weeks, but I got a 71 on this test last quarter, so I am hoping for the best!! Looking forward to working with all of you.

FAR (66,68) Aug 26
    REG (66) July 25
    AUD (66) December 1st
    BEC - October 3rd

ineedthiscpa45
    Participant

Question: when did you originally take BEC & How long did you study for? Also were the MCQ's very similar t the one's on Roger and Ninja? I'm only asking because BEC is my first CPA test and my date is on the 27th. Any advice would be helpful & good luck!

Teal
    Participant

I studied for about 4 weeks the first time. It was probably about a week shy of the time I should have taken for it. The MCQ's are pretty similar, but you definitely need to know all the concepts! I took it back in March

FAR (66,68) Aug 26
    REG (66) July 25
    AUD (66) December 1st
    BEC - October 3rd

A1lessio
    Participant

Anyone here have a good approach for Joint Cost. I know how to allocate the joint cost based on the different methods (Volume, NPV, selling price). I get tripped up when you have to decide if you should process further or not. Is there a fool proof approach to solving these questions? I saw one on my last BEC exam and could not for the life of me figure it out. Even the Becker MCQs I still get them wrong.

AUD (08/02/2016)

Viewing 15 replies - 346 through 360 (of 471 total)
  • The topic ‘BEC Study Group April May 2017 - Page 24’ is closed to new replies.