Taking BEC for the 3rd time 1/9/17 - Page 2

• Creator
    Topic
    madelinealexa
    Participant

Hey everyone,

This is my first post on here and I’ve read a lot of people saying these blogs helped them (finally) pass this damn exam. My story is I’m taking BEC for the third time in about two weeks and I have no idea what/how else to study!! I scored a 72 on both tries and am really just looking for advice and motivation to hopefully help me pass this part finally!!

Viewing 9 replies - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    martimann
    Participant

Make sure you know COSO and the other conceptual topics like the back of your hand in and out. Knowing those well enough allowed me to fly through all the conceptual MCQs on test day, then after flying through those I had plenty of time to do all the other cost and Finance calculations. The writing part should be a piece of cake and you should have plenty of things to write about if you know the material. I'd say the biggest help was knowing the conceptual stuff in and out, saves time when you do those questions in seconds.

madelinealexa
    Participant

@Nath – thank you so much for your motivational comment. I have been stressing out a lot more lately as I am closing in on my exam date and taking it for the 3rd time sucks (keep in mind this section is also changing in April). Your words have helped me feel better about this exam, I am so close so i believe i can do this, thanks everyone!!!

financetx
    Participant

I sat for BEC earlier this month as my first attempt at a CPA exam. I used ONLY Ninja MCQ, Ninja Notes, and a free trial version of CPAExcel. I only used CPA excel to trill down into trouble categories. I would do the free trial for the variance section alone as it was really good in explaining efficiency vs. price variances and how to simply calculate them. I “rewrote” the Ninja notes which I think helps you digest the information instead of mindlessly reading it. This takes about a week. I would pull up the score report, copy and paste it into excel, and filter to see where I was doing poorly and drill down into those areas. Not a particularly great test taker. I'm not one of those persons who meticulously tracks their hours so I think that I probably put in around 60-80 hours. Scored an 86.

My advice on what to know for BEC:
    Variance Calculations
    NPV – Learn how to calculate the PV factor as questions sometimes do not provide this
    Bond issuances selling at a discount or premium
    COSO
    IT

Wannafree
    Participant

@Madeline sorry for typos in my sentence “When you got 72 it’s no new knowledge” what I meant.I believe you will pass if focus on time management and WC.

CPWAT
    Participant

Do you feel surgent prepare you enough for the exam or you are only using Ninja's to prepare for the exam now? Would you recommend using surgent?

neaux
    Participant

@CPWAT Surgent looks like it uses Ninja already (may just be me). Anyway, out of all the sections, BEC would be the section to use only Ninja. For BEC and AUD, I only used Ninja MCQ. It's all about how effective you use the materials not the materials themselves.

CPWAT
    Participant

@neaux2135. Thanks! I am kinda stuck at choosing between Roger/Gleim/Surgent.I will buy Ninja MCQs for sure. Honestly, I like Surgent's lecture better than Roger, at least for BEC. Gleim's MCQs seems to be tougher but their lectures/texts are very detailed not sure it's worth studying them all. But I also want to know if Surgent will be good enough for other sections before I pull the trigger.

Tncincy
    Participant

I just looked up this Surgent…There are so many companies with almost the same products, I son;t know if Surgent is a proven product or not, but If you have a product already I would use what I have. (IMO) I had to really fight against switching and just study. Whether it's reading the wiley books, cpaexcel, or ninja. Becker is way pass my budget and Roger's demo is good, but I had to just decide and study, hopefully I'll get a pass on BEC just using ninja (not a promo move).

It begins with a 75
    Been here too long as a cheerleader....ready to pass

jeff
    Keymaster

CPWat – I've seen you post several places asking for advice on picking a course … it seems like you're paralyzed to make a decision…scared to make the wrong move (it's normal).

You can pass with any course you choose. Pick one and get to work and never look back.

Some feature comparisons here: https://www.another71.com/cpa-exam-forum/topic/2017-cpa-review-discounts-coupon-promo-codes/

Viewing 9 replies - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.